Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Well , hows those new Teal taste ? We don't start until Oct 12 North across the border so , I have to stick around here and shoot
some Doves . We got a early season ,Sept. 1 st for 15 days with a daily bag of 10 birds . Then it's wait until early Goose on Oct.
12 for 5 days . Water up North is a issue also ,with not much in the best spots but ,we'll have to make do .
What's it like down in the Swampland ? With all the corn left in the fields North along the river and only 60 days to get it done ,
I hope you fellas get some weather to bring those birds down in time . With stuff spinning out in the Atlantic , I'm sure you'll get
something .

Have a good season and BE SAFE !

3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm

3200 man wrote:Well , hows those new Teal taste ?

You wouldn't like 'em.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Hoping they make themselves at home here like they did last year!
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 pm

OH, we have a few here in the Pacific Flyway ,GreenWings ,not many BlueWings .There are enough to fill a limit ,but we hold
out for Mallards and Sprig mostly . We deep fry them too and with a little Bacon wrap they can be fit for a King .What's it look like
down there ,all we hear about is how the marsh is in bad shape with no water ?
Your Teal season opens on the 1 st of Sept ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 am

3200 man wrote:...What's it look like
down there ,all we hear about is how the marsh is in bad shape with no water ?
Your Teal season opens on the 1 st of Sept ?

September Teal starts the 15th.

The drought that boogered many of our marshes for the past two seasons broke this year in South Louisiana. At this time last year, my boat wasn't leaving the boathouse:

Tropical Storm Lee gave us some relief in early September, but I still couldn't get to my blind:

And even with pumped water, I had to grind out my "pond":

Time and again:

And it still sucked for the dog:

This year found my pond as it should be:

And I finished clearing lilies yesterday:

Could be Hurricane Isaac's storm surge will now salt it and turn that scene brown, but we'll have plenty of water.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Rick , I hope everything turns out OK for you old boys down there ? Keep us posted and our prayers are with you and yours .

Those are Great pictures ,Please follow them up with some recent ones .

Good Luck !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts, but hurricanes being cyclonic, our southwest corner of Louisiana appears to be on Issac's good side, knock wood, and it's folks in its direct path and its east side that will feel the brunt of the storm. As it stands, knocking wood again, we're only showing a 60 and 70% chance of rain from the storm on Wednesday and Thursday. When Kartrina tore up New Orleans, all we got was a little pleasant north wind. (At least until Rita flattened our ass a few weeks later.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:22 pm

That's what we hear from family down in Houma ,not much we can do here but pray . They are just geting over the last
round of devastation and here we go again . The OLD BOY upstairs has funny ways of taking care of business but ,I'm sure it's
for the good !
In 15-16 days you should be rocking ,so give us a heads-up ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 am

sooner737 wrote:
Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Speak for yourself OK Duck. we got into piles of mallards last year.

Hunted the eufaula area once last year and was the only mallards i saw all year. Around my usual hunting grounds (south central) it was a gadwall/scaup fest.

Im from Quinton, I grew up huntin The Canadian river and Eufaula area. That area has always had more than it,s fair share of mallards. I still hunt the river every year, more ducks! smaller spreads, less work.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby skavdog » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm

N Dak, S Dak, Neb, N Dak, N Dak.... not necesarily in that order
skavdog
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 pm

ducksNgeese91 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I've shot and ate almost every species of duck. The Mallard is the one that looks the best on the table. A nice fat rice-fed Arkansas Mallard that's been stuffed with rice and roasted to perfection is what I want. I like breasted ducks and they all are pretty much the same when cooked that way but if you want a roasted bird...a mallard is the way to go. I suppose a canvasback or sprig would be fine as well but I don't get to shoot many of those.

Im still trying to figure out what this post has to do with the topic of the best states to shoot mallards in?
Still trying to figure out why this matters? The thread evolved into "which one tastes better?".
So I went with the flow. YOUR post is even more off topic. :umm:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Top 5 states to hunt mallards in?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

How is my post more off topic? Read the title! Your response leaves me scratching my head.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Idk all i know is PA is probably dead last on the list!! I live in PA. And although i cannot speak for anywhere ele in PA i know where i live it absoltly stinks for duckh hunting. We kil mainly wooducks, a few blacks, some mallards and some teal. And i see some divers but its bogus aroudn here for ducks. It just doesnt seem like it holds many ducks around here not to mention we have the most hunters outta any state so it makes it even more tough. Now geese... thats a different story... Pretty awesome gooseh unting here, minus all the hunters.. it would be goose heaven!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby flight canceler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 am

well in my case mallards are rare, in the past 3 years we have killed over 3500 ducks in my blinds and i think about 15 have been mallards, we have many pintails and gadwall weigon green wing teal (rarely see a blue wing or cinamon) woodies ring necks and several others, canvasbacks almost black the sky. so to me mallards are still a prize!!!
flight canceler
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 am

Interesting that they'd skip over you like that, as they seem on a rebound the past couple seasons here to your south, where they've run a close second to greenwings in my Cameron Parish marsh blind.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 pm

For do it yourselfers u can't go wrong with Dakotas. Illinois urn gonna have to pay a guide or know someone to consistently kill mallards.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting