New To Mass Duck hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

New To Mass Duck hunting

Postby JohnnyA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi
Im brand new to duck hunting and was wondering for any advice. Id like to sick to puddle ducks and stay away from the ocean. I m in Wilmington Massachusetts

Thanks John
JohnnyA
Newb

Re: New To Mass Duck hunting

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:44 am

Hi John,

Welcome to DHC and welcome to the wonderful world of waterfowling! I can't help you much with hunting in Mass., but I can mention that you might not want to overlook the ocean. At least not the bays and tidal marshes. Being not to much further south here on Long Island, I can tell you that hunting salt marshes can be very productive for puddlers. In fact, come January, all the inland fresh water ponds and lakes freeze up, so the only game in town is the salt marsh. Coastal areas like these are productive throughout the season.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby JohnnyA » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 am

Thanks Frank i never thought to try out the salt marshes there are a a lot near me.
JohnnyA
Newb

Postby honkerhuntin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

although i am new to the forum, i have hunted for many years now and the best advise i can give you is to try and get on as many hunts as you can with experienced waterfowlers. with every hunt try and learn something new, that is what i tell myself every time i go out. even if you get skunked (God forbid), try and figure out what went wrong. also, never be afraid to change things up, you might be out there and you will have to change your deeks 5 times before you get em in with their feet down.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby chad3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Unless it was like last year with zero freeze over. I got no mallards coming in and tons of blacks (1 only). Horrible year on the tidal waters for me.
chad3
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:17 pm

JohnnyA wrote:Im brand new to duck hunting and was wondering for any advice.

Dress warm.
Don't forget your license.
Don't use lead shot.
Know the local, state, and federal regulations.
Learn to identify your ducks before you shoot at them.
Only shoot at birds you could hit with a rock.
Go early, stay late (take water and a snack).
Don't get discouraged.

You will learn more every time you go out. Be open to the learning. Someday YOU will be the experienced guy the young hunters will come to for advice.

That's my advice.
mudpack
hunter

Postby bookworm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

i live in down east maine and i hunt the tidle bays and some marshes too.
they are a great place to hunt for ducks . i go after black ducks and a couple of divers like buffle heads and canvasbacks .
they are a great place to go and you might want to give them a go .
bookworm
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 pm

JohnnyA wrote:Hi
Im brand new to duck hunting and was wondering for any advice. Id like to sick to puddle ducks and stay away from the ocean. I m in Wilmington Massachusetts

Thanks John

:welcome: Jump on over to the Mass forum and get aquainted.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting