Inflatable decoys???

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Inflatable decoys???

Postby TheAmazingGreenheadWhackerGuy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:06 pm

I have about 2 dozen inflatable mallard decoys. Featherlite brand. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck with them. It seems like once they get wet, they would really shine and glare and make the spread look unnatural. I have about 4 dozen plastic Flambeau and GHG's. I plan on flocking all their heads this week. Should I even bother using the inflatables???
TheAmazingGreenheadWhackerGuy
hunter

Re: Inflatable decoys???

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Depends. Do you have to carry your gear on foot for long distances? If so, the inflateables might be a good choice. If you don't, they would be my last choice, just before no decoys at all.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TheAmazingGreenheadWhackerGuy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't have to hoof it very long at all at the moment, but I suppose that could change at any time. BUT, I'm pretty sure the inflatables are heavier than the regular plastic decoys. Don't ask me how, but a full bag of plastics are just as heavy as half a bag of inflatables when blown up. I can hardly believe that they would weigh less when deflated though.
TheAmazingGreenheadWhackerGuy
hunter

Postby hunt91 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

I use those exact same decoys in my spread and the ducks don't hesitate to land dam near right on top of them. They also add great motion to the spread because they don't have keels.
hunt91
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 am

Inflatables are great for swamp hunting around here where wading in and out can be a chore on a good day and you don't need a huge spread. You can stuff a half dozen in your pocket or small bag and using a 1oz or less fishing weight they weigh next to nothing. And like hunt91 mentioned they are very light with no keel so they move around with the slightest breeze and bob around on small waves made by kicking around.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby scubaarchery » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm

I have to hike about a mile through muck to get to my spot, so all I use is the same decoys you mentioned. I have ducks land in them all day. They are somewhat shiny in the daytime, but it does not seem to be an issue. I have ducks landing in them at first light through mid day.
scubaarchery
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 am

Anyone who thinks real ducks don't shine on the water now and then hasn't been in the field much. I one went to retrieve a shiny decoy I spotted along a shorline only to have it explode into the air when I got within 20 feet. Duck feathers have oil on them add some water and sun and they get shiney.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 pm

I just purchased a 6-pak of the Cherokee Sports Inflatables to use on a jerk cord. Do any of you use them for this purpose? Or should I use the keeled Flambeaus for the jerk cord and leave the inflatables as standing decoys due to their ease of movement? This is the first year/time I'll be using a jerk cord, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
TJP
TJP
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm

TJP wrote:I just purchased a 6-pak of the Cherokee Sports Inflatables to use on a jerk cord. Do any of you use them for this purpose? Or should I use the keeled Flambeaus for the jerk cord and leave the inflatables as standing decoys due to their ease of movement? This is the first year/time I'll be using a jerk cord, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
TJP

Use the keeled flambeaus, the point of a jerk rig is to make motion in the water and not just ducks moving on the water actual ripples or camotion on the water. So by having more weight you make more ripples.
MNkid7
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting