Cold fronts and weather

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Cold fronts and weather

Postby boulder bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Question about cold / weather fronts I'm fairly new to duck hunting.I'm from northern Connecticut when I'm looking at cold and weather fronts how far to the north should i be looking at the weather to try to figure out if and when there is a chance for a push of birds heading down from the north? Is the anything specifically I should be checking as far as the weather goes.I Know blue bird days mid season suck. Thanks for the help
boulder bass
hunter

Re: Cold fronts and weather

Postby boulder bass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am

anyone got any advice?
boulder bass
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 am

Well I dunno bout conneticut but down here if there is a big cold front pushin down from the north I'm takin off work and I'm huntin... And round here when there are blue bird days we hit the timber or heavily treed ponds or sloughs.... They pile in... Some of our best hunts have been when the wind shifts out of the south to the north bout 15 min before daylight... It's hard to anticipate the switch but if u got it right usually they pile in for us.... Hope that helps at least a little... I never look to really look to see how far north it's comin from I just wait for it to get here..
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00 pm

How far north to look is a good question and I guess it depends on where the birds currently are and how big and strong the front - if the birds have already pushed down from canada off their breeding grounds and there is a big cold front with strong winds, they may just blow right past us. We have to pay attention to the winds as much as the weather - think about what the birds need and what forces them to move. A nice strong wind from the north makes it perfect for birds to ride the tail winds and cover some ground and some of those smaller puddlers use those first winds as a signal to beat feet and take advantage of the winds. Indiancrekk mentioned when those winds change to coming from the south - especially after the front passes, they should look to put down - head winds. Of course I'm not a duck but it does make sense to me. At least this is how it was explained to me. :biggrin:
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting