New here

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

New here

Postby DuckDude88 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:53 pm

Hi fellas,

Im new here and need some help!
I hunt woodduck behind my house on a creek. the way i do it is slipping up on the creek and blast em when they fly! problem is i aint blastin any i spookem b4 i can get there any input on how i can make blinds and where to put them on the creek??? :?: any help is needed.
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby DuckDude88 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:56 am

Oh yeah,

I have heard that woodducks like to stick around log jams? is that info right?? thx ahead of time!
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby Steelheader » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 pm

I would find a good brushy area to set up a blind so it blends in. it is my understanding that woodies don't really decoy that well mostly past shooting. All the ones I have killed have been past shooting.
Dam should have taken them on the last pass.
Steelheader
hunter

Postby DuckDude88 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 pm

Thank you for the advise Steel.
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby berettaman » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:27 pm

I sort of disagree with Steelheader on this one.....I have had really good success on bringing them in to the decoys. If you give them a chance, they will certainly set in. Maybe being this far north, the aren't as spookish as when they get shot at a few times. I have had them swim in, fly off water to come in.....every time they never cease to surprise me. I would throw out a few magnum sized mallard decoys and get good with a wood duck call. Woody decoys are pretty and at the same time pretty small.......I don't even mess with em anymore. Good luck.
berettaman
hunter

Postby DuckDude88 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:31 pm

i would like to borrow some to see if they work and if so i would buy some.
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:33 am

Here's another fun way to pursue those pesky woodies...... wade the creek moving very slowly UPSTREAM (because the birds usually face into the current). I have been very sucessful using this strategy on puddlers. You will find all sorts of spots where the ducks are regularly found - then set in motion a decoy spread. A blinb may not be the best thing because on a creek the birds will not be in the same spot long term.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckDude88 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:20 pm

Im gonna try and save up to get some waders for next year.
Leave only feathers.
DuckDude88
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting