Where are they hiding

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Where are they hiding

Postby hood » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:51 pm

Hey guys, need some advice. Went hunting saturday at a public lake in middle Georgia. We got there before daylight in a corner of the lake that goes back a ways in the woods almost like the mouth of a creek. We saw probably 12 wood ducks coming in but just out of range. I picked one off and that was it. They flew only about 20 minutes max. We went looking around the lake for some more but couldn't find any. The next day we went to the same place and only saw 2! I did get one of those thank God. Then me and my buddy went exploring the lake for hideouts and could see a few flying but we couldn't tell where they were coming or going. Both days the temperature in the morning was awfuly warm at 55 degrees and it was misting with a lot of fog. Do you think that is why there were not many birds? My friend went last year and said they were coming in droves (wood ducks) at the place we were at. And he went opening weekend just like this year. My questions are: Where could they be? Where do wood ducks usually go mid- morning to mid-afternoon? Should we be hunting right before dark as opposed to morning during this time of year? I need some advice my fellow duck hunters! I'm getting frustrated!
hood
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:45 pm

get off public ground... it was so warm this year the ducks took a beating up north becasue they stayed up there longer than normal ... thus when they get down here they are really cauchign on fast and leaving many public areas that noramal hold thoughdaas of ducks... just my .02 cents and it has been workign for me...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:10 pm

If you were after wood ducks, then look for acorns. THey love them. Maybe there was a bumper crop of them last year and none in that area this year?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DucSmoker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:43 pm

Usually this time of year ducks are heading south in front of cold spells. If the ducks are here today they may be gone tommorrow with the next cold spell. it is usually hit or miss because the ducks dont get settled long enough to really work on.
Jesus Is Lord
DucSmoker
Newb

Postby BigBirds » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:29 pm

Here in louisiana Wood ducks stay year around. I do the best early in the morning. They normally only fly for a bout 20 to 30 mins and that is it. I find flooded swamp areas, with lots of acorns that is their main food, then we sit and wait when you see the first flock you have 20 mins of fast shooting. if you hear them calling it is to late thwey done flew over .
BigBirds
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting