Most visible colors

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Most visible colors

Postby spoonbill18 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I've always heard that black and white r the colors most people in planes see when looking at waterfowl from above.. But everyone says white is more visible under certain weather conditions and so is black. My question to y'all is which color stands out better and under what weather conditions?? Ex black/ cloudy or white/ sunny
spoonbill18
hunter

Re: Most visible colors

Postby Cul D' Canard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I am new to this forum but long in duck seasons. I hunt the Cental Flyway and I became a believer in black decoys when the paint chipped off an old set of Carry Lites and exposed the gray primer, which shined like a beacon in the sun. I loved the way the decoys moved in the current (I hunt rivers) but I have zero talent with a paint brush, and a friend suggested I just spray paint them flat black. I still use them and they still work. We have done a little experimenting against realistic dekes and I am convinced that ducks can see the black ones from a greater distance, especially at first light or when its overcast.
"We're all in this together" - Red Green
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Black will show up better over longer distances than white under most any weather condition. Plus, all ducks look black at a distance.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I've always heard black is the color ducks see best, and from the furthest distances. Thats why I cant understand people who hunt in black hoodies. I know in my diver spread I use quite a few solid flat black dekes. I've even seen some people paint 2 liter bottles fla black and tie anchors onto them as decoys.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting