Vintage duck hunt

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Vintage duck hunt

Postby eGrant51 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 am

Yesterday I decided that I would plan an old time duck hunt, once a season. I was out shooting dives, it was slow and I was using a 16ga side by side with hammers. I had a couple of long shots and I thought it would be great fun to get some Bismuth loads for ducks. Then I thought I would re-rig some old wooden and cork decoys. Maybe in time restore an old wooden scooter and use it. I will not go back to rubber waders. I guess I would not want to do it every time out, but once a year, early in the season, I am going to give it a try. Might even take some black and white pictures of it. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: Vintage duck hunt

Postby FOWLER2671 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:44 pm

That would be cool! I had a few old cork decoys but sold them when times got tough.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:16 pm

A group of us will be doing just that in Wisconsin in October. Our oldest hunting clothes, boots, gear and guns. Ah the guns, Browning A5's from 1947 thru 1991. Lights, standardweights, and a Magnum. Shells will be Federal Tungsten BB for geese and 2 for ducks. Black and white still cameras as well as b and w video.I want to get a group photo of all us "old guys" standing in front of the Herters store in Beaverdam, WI. Real history guys that won't last forever. Gonna be a good time wackin and stackin with old style gear. What fun. :hammer: Hope some of you young guns get into this. :grooving:
BTW, should our old A5's break down our backup guns will be a 1957 Fox Model B 12 gauge and a Winchester Model 12 Featherweight 12 gauge. Both theses venerable old guns carry 30 inch full choke barrels. Come on join the fun! :bow: :welcome: :beer:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 pm

adustydawg wrote:A group of us will be doing just that in Wisconsin in October. Our oldest hunting clothes, boots, gear and guns. Ah the guns, Browning A5's from 1947 thru 1991. Lights, standardweights, and a Magnum. Shells will be Federal Tungsten BB for geese and 2 for ducks. Black and white still cameras as well as b and w video.I want to get a group photo of all us "old guys" standing in front of the Herters store in Beaverdam, WI. Real history guys that won't last forever. Gonna be a good time wackin and stackin with old style gear. What fun. :hammer: Hope some of you young guns get into this. :grooving:
BTW, should our old A5's break down our backup guns will be a 1957 Fox Model B 12 gauge and a Winchester Model 12 Featherweight 12 gauge. Both theses venerable old guns carry 30 inch full choke barrels. Come on join the fun! :bow: :welcome: :beer:

Can you shoot the tungsten loads out of a full choke with no fear of damage to the barrel?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:52 am

YEP! No problem according to my gunsmith. Just like shooting lead only better. :thumbsup: :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 am

I would not shoot anything but Bismuth in my old model 12s or side by sides. I would not be up to spending the money on it for every day use. I can justify using it once a year however. Might even look into some black powder loads, it would be fun with an old hammer double, with Damascus barrels. At one time I carved my own decoys, made hundreds of them, now I use Avery. It will be nice to see those cork and wooden blocks floating once again. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:40 pm

I shoot my Mod 12's and Old Wingmasters with steelshot on a regular basis at waterfowl for the last 40 yrs ,with no problems.
I even shoot really big shot at geese ,out of a Mod 12 3" but ,I had it opened-up to a .017 choke . There is nothing like putting
those Benelli's to shame , with something made 75 years ago ! HA HA HA !
3200 man
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I just upgraded my model 12 duck gun. I bought a 32" heavy duck with a solid rib. I am selling a heavy duck with a Simmons rib, on GunBroker. I have another solid rib gun, it had a poly-choke on it when I bought it. I had the poly cut off and was thinking that with a Briley extended choke it would be a good gun with steel. It also had a peep sight, not sure what they were thinking. I might shoot a plain barrel gun with steel, but not a ribbed one. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 pm

There is nothing better than the sound of a Mod 12 at trap doubles or skeet with a WSI . When it comes to Waterfowl ,
in the hands of a OLDTIME Duck Hunter ,it can be deadly . With steel loads or Super X Double X at distances beyond belief !
It's not the gun , but the shooter that can make the Mod 12 SING .........................Puff !
3200 man
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 am

I bought some old stock 3" Bismuth #5 a couple of season ago. Took it out with a full choke gun and it felt like the good old days. Shot a couple of mallards that were past 50 yards. Killed a limit and every bird was belly up on the water. I miss the old days. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 am

Yep I did the same , with some old DoubleX Super X 4's................Oh how I miss Them !
Steelshot is closely getting there ,though added speed .
3200 man
hunter

Postby JON » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 am

Am I missing something? Seems to me that "vintage hunt" and "bismuth shells" don't really match up quite right.
JON
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:14 pm

JON wrote:Am I missing something? Seems to me that "vintage hunt" and "bismuth shells" don't really match up quite right.

It's more a matter of safety and not wanting to ruin a classic gun than anything else. They were meant to shoot lead, not steel, and a lot of them are choked full. Bismuth is a lot easier on the barrels than shooting modern steel loads. :thumbsup:

My husband has really been talking a lot lately about doing a vintage hunt. He just picked up a Model 12 in 20g that he wants to use, I'd shoot my Beretta SxS. And we'd dress in tans, tweeds, etc. Just have to find a couple others who would want to as well.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby JON » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Oh I get it all right...just doesn't seem very vintage. I say grab an old school box of lead for the day...and don't get caught! Now that's vintage. :wink:
JON
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Bismuth is as close as we can get to the good old days. Any shotgun with soft barrels and a rib should not be used with steel. It is not worth the risk of being ticketed for using lead shot, I want to enjoy looking for ducks, not spend all day looking over my shoulder. If they could issue a permit to shoot lead, even for one day a year, it would be a great day. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:18 pm

I have Great Days ,once or twice a year when Fellas try pass shooting Geese at 60 -70 yds .
It's open pastures and they won't let'em work the decoys . 3 1/2" shells , who needs them , not me !
3200 man
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Well fellas, our vintage hunt is gonna be just that as all the hunters are old vintage. Hell the youngster is 54 and the old gent is 68. But we do have a good time, like using our old guns[ LEGALLY], and dressing like our fathers and grandpas did. Sorta nostalgic but alot of fun. :hammer: Heck we will even be taking black and white photos and using B and W video tape. Gives you something to think back on during the off season. Hope that maybe some of you that live in Wisconsin may want to stop by and give us a shout out. Always a pleasure to put a face to the user name; unless you are on a wanted poster somwhere! :lol3: :clapping: See you in Wisconsin in October. later adustydawg and Bucky :hi: :welcome: :bow:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I agree shooting LEAD into water is not good and being a responsible Waterfowler is paramount but , when Lead is used
in the same fields as upland hunters shooting lead , I see no problems with Bigger size Lead shot for Geese .

Help me understand this ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 am

I did not say that shooting lead into water was bad. I have never seen evidence of lead poisioning and I do not believe it was ever a real problem. Getting ticketed for using it is bad however. I will comply, but not because I believe that lead was an issue. I am positive that we lost a lot more ducks to early steel loads that were poor, and caused a lot of cripples. I had a real good dog back then and I found a lot of wounded birds along the shoreline, never found one that was sick however. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby webfettish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 am

adustydawg wrote:A group of us will be doing just that in Wisconsin in October. Our oldest hunting clothes, boots, gear and guns. Ah the guns, Browning A5's from 1947 thru 1991. Lights, standardweights, and a Magnum. Shells will be Federal Tungsten BB for geese and 2 for ducks. Black and white still cameras as well as b and w video.I want to get a group photo of all us "old guys" standing in front of the Herters store in Beaverdam, WI. Real history guys that won't last forever. Gonna be a good time wackin and stackin with old style gear. What fun. :hammer: Hope some of you young guns get into this. :grooving:

Any more room? I live about 30 minutes north of beaver dam, I am only 21 but i think it would be fun, i have old gear and an old gun, not even sure what it is, its a bolt action 12 gage, thats all i know i will check it out tonight, but I also have my grandfather's old hunting gear and some rubber hip waders. I have some old decoys that look like they are made of paper machet but Dont think my old man would appreciate me using them lol. Ya, Let me know if theres any room for one more, sounds like fun!
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting