Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Mudgun » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 am

I would rather see skillet shots than sky busting. :yes:
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Feathers » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Rick Hall wrote:My decoys spread is designed to accommodate kids shooting birds on the water without also popping decoys, and it doesn't bother me when an adult takes that advantage. But I was brought up by men who wouldn't shoot a stationary bird other than turkey and never felt I needed a bird badly enough to break that tradition.

If you don't do it why do you teach the kids to do it?

To others with the legal reasoning: Sky Busting is also legal so is that okay to do too? Just because something is legal does not mean that it is right.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Feathers wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:My decoys spread is designed to accommodate kids shooting birds on the water without also popping decoys, and it doesn't bother me when an adult takes that advantage. But I was brought up by men who wouldn't shoot a stationary bird other than turkey and never felt I needed a bird badly enough to break that tradition.

To others with the legal reasoning: Sky Busting is also legal so is that okay to do too? Just because something is legal does not mean that it is right.

Like I said previously I would much rather some one shoot them on the water,provided they are within a good shooting range,Than skybust them and let them fly off wounded. I do not skybust or condone others doing it either.
I know I have had them land outside the decoys then swim close enough for an easy kill shot at say 20 yds or so.
So feathers do you jump up to scare other game so they have a so called fighting chance?
I am talking deer,Turkey,squirrel etc..
I am guessing no.
How is it not ethical to shoot a sitting duck but we wait for a turkey or deer to stand still or slow to a slow walk before we pull the trigger? Deer I can understand but a turkey is a bird and they are killed with a shotgun.
A squirrel isn't much different either in my opinion. Yell at the squirrel and take a running shot. Give em a chance man!
The least you can do is let that turkey get a running start before you fire. It just isn't ethical to call them in with a turkey call and using that fancy hen decoy and then wait for them to stand still before the shot. :lol3:
I don't see the difference.Why are waterfowl and upland game the only ones we let run/before we shoot?
Food on my table taste the same either way does it not?
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby DDTHNC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm

I love shooting ducks on the water right above my corn pile :grooving: . All jokes aside I've shot them on the water in flight with wings cupped, pass shot but my favorite is to let em land and jump em and dust them that way. Like its been said to each his own and I have nothing against anyone doing it how they want to just as long as its legit, I mean aren't we all out there cause we love the sport of duck hunting. Just my 2¢
Life is tough, but it's even tougher when your stupid. John Wayne
DDTHNC
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Kasilofchrisn,

You keep bringing up turkeys. Have you ever shot one? Have you ever patterned a turkey load? Do you know the target area of a turkey? How that target area is effected by the pattern? Very different game.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 am

Kasilofchrisn

I do not hunt turkey or deer. I did shoot an eight pointer when I was younger and it happened to be jogging when I pasted it but I would have blasted it had it been standing still. Deer and turkey have much better senses than a duck and therefor supposedly more tough to get them in shooting range for a clean shot. Also, you are shooting them with a single bullet or a small pattern. Personally I think both are pretty boring to hunt and that is the reason I am a bird hunter (grouse, pheasants, fowl) and a **** ****. More action and more of a challenge to make a good shot. I didn't think people hunted squirrel anymore, you must be from the south. The only squirrels I shoot are the ones that try to chew their way into my house and no I don't give those rascals any warning before I pop em.

I could care less what other people do as long as it doesn't affect my hunt. I just think it is silly to tell the kids to water swat, ground pound, etc when you as the adult don't do it and I think it is silly to say because it is legal it is okay to do. Just strange reasoning to me. If you want to fill your freezer wacking sitting ducks by all means go ahead. It is all about having fun and if that is fun keep on at it.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:27 am

Why is wi ng sho oter blocked out from my post?
Feathers
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 am

Water-swatters. I don't mind if you shoot ducks on the water BUT...
If you take out 5-6 of my decoys when you swat there's gunna be some problems.
Ever had to drive home talkin' to yourself? :biggrin:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby sooner737 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 am

aunt betty wrote:Water-swatters. I don't mind if you shoot ducks on the water BUT...
If you take out 5-6 of my decoys when you swat there's gunna be some problems.
Ever had to drive home talkin' to yourself? :biggrin:

God help the poor soul that wacks my dakotas!
sooner737
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:43 am

sooner737 wrote:I always shot ducks on the water....till i turned 14. There should be a stiff fine for people who do that. You dont throw a clay pigeon out on the ground and shoot it do you? Do they also shoot deer on a wheat field from their trucks? Or pop a dove thats chillin on a fence from a truck? If your water poppin i wouldnt tell anybody. Yea we all love duck hunting and bottom line is we are out to kill them but damn man...they deserve a little more respect than that.

Seriously...a stiff fine for someone that waterswats a bird, seriously? And you're comparing apples to oranges. Let me guess, I shouldn't shot a hen duck either?
Last edited by goodkarmarising on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:45 am

I know the chad belding targeted followers are the ones most likely to water pop. Dress up in your affliction, slam your protein shake and pre-game to Roadhouse

Umm..sure, keep assuming.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 am

Frank Lopez wrote:Kasilofchrisn,

You keep bringing up turkeys. Have you ever shot one? Have you ever patterned a turkey load? Do you know the target area of a turkey? How that target area is effected by the pattern? Very different game.

Frank

To be honest Frank I am not much of a turkey hunter.
Although I did shoot 3 wild turkeys last September with my trusty old Winchester 12 gauge and I killed 2 more this spring.
The reason I reference Turkey is they are another bird. They are capable of flight. They are often harvested by camo clad hunters via shotguns using decoys and calls.
The way I figure it that is similar to how we hunt waterfowl. We use shotguns and dress in camo. We hide ourselves and hunt over decoys using calls.
A good turkey hunter like a good waterfowler can sometimes call the birds in close enough for an easy shot at close range. Say 20 yds or so.
Why not give the turkey a fair chance at an escape as well as a more challenging shot as you would a duck or goose?
You have said you like to stalk Squirrels. Could you not just as easily yell at them so they run before you shoot? Sure it is a different method but you could do it and it would give the squirrel more of a fair chance right?
So are turkeys and squirrels dumber is that why? Pick on the animals who are dumber and slower by shooting them standing still, but, give the smarter waterfowl or upland bird a fair chance at escape?
In my mind they are all food. Fun to hunt yes, but still food. Healthy wild game that my family enjoys eating.
My opinion is and probably always will be that all animals deserve respect. But when it comes to hunting I will at times use whatever means are legal to put food on my table and feed my family healthy and tasty wildgame. I only harvest what I will eat and don't shoot what I will not. The only exception is when shooting an animal that is used for its fur such as a wolf or coyote or needs to be shot to protect the enviroment such as a stray dog or cat in the woods or causing property damage etc..
In the end they all end up dead anyway you shoot them and in the end they all taste the same on my dinner plate.
Do what you want within the law where you live and with your group of friends and I'll do the same here.
I won't pass judgement on you for how you hunt provided you are legal and would expect the same from you.
Last edited by Kasilofchrisn on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 am

Feathers wrote:Kasilofchrisn

I do not hunt turkey or deer. I did shoot an eight pointer when I was younger and it happened to be jogging when I pasted it but I would have blasted it had it been standing still. Deer and turkey have much better senses than a duck and therefor supposedly more tough to get them in shooting range for a clean shot. Also, you are shooting them with a single bullet or a small pattern. Personally I think both are pretty boring to hunt and that is the reason I am a bird hunter (grouse, pheasants, fowl) and a **** ****. More action and more of a challenge to make a good shot. I didn't think people hunted squirrel anymore, you must be from the south. The only squirrels I shoot are the ones that try to chew their way into my house and no I don't give those rascals any warning before I pop em.

I could care less what other people do as long as it doesn't affect my hunt. I just think it is silly to tell the kids to water swat, ground pound, etc when you as the adult don't do it and I think it is silly to say because it is legal it is okay to do. Just strange reasoning to me. If you want to fill your freezer wacking sitting ducks by all means go ahead. It is all about having fun and if that is fun keep on at it.

So deer and turkeys are smarter? Thats why we we pick on waterfowl and upland birds they are dumber?
Give the dumb ones a better chance than the smart ones and make them more of a challenge to shoot? Seriously?
I actually live in Alaska a long long ways from the south and do not hunt squirrels normally. I do work with some guys from the south and they love to hunt and eat squirrels. Apparently they get much bigger down there and are tastier than the little guys we get up here.
I would never critize you for shooting those squirrels causing property damage.
I just wonder how people can critize other waterfowl hunters for shooting them in a legal manner?
One that results in the same thing as your hunting a dead duck.
Hunting is fun for me but I would not do it if I did not intend to utilize what I hunted.
I don't treat it as a video game the animals deserve more respect from me than that. If it is all about the fun why not buy one of those video game systems with the plastic shotgun and shoot ducks all day long?
I know it is more than just the fun of hunting and it could never be replaced by a video game but you make it sound like we just hunt for fun or the sport of it. I for one also intend to feed my family healthy wild game.
That's the number one reason I hunt. There are no game or fish mounts of any kind on my wall.
Of course I would never pass judgement on those who do have trophy mounts it's just not the reason I hunt.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 am

Kasilofchrisn,

I never said deer or turkey were smarter. I said they have better senses, big difference. If ducks could see as well as a turkey or deer it would be much tougher to get one in range. There is a much higher probability that you will cripple a deer or turkey on the run than standing. IMO there is a much higher probability you will cripple a duck when you water swat vs a centered shot in flight because most of their vitals are pretty well protected when sitting on the water so again it is a bit of apples and oranges here.

And I didn't critisize you I just thought your legal arguement is a bit silly since it is more of an ethical issue, hence why I compared it to sky busting-an ethical not legal issue. I also like to feed family and friends with game but if that was my primary motive I would be a big game hunter. I hunt birds for fun, the rush, comradarie, and for the sport and I love eating what I kill as well but that isn't my #1 priority. Not a personal attack against you and like I said I could care less so don't get too worked up about it. Good luck this season!
Feathers
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 am

Feathers I am not getting all worked up just trying to figure why people see it the way they do thats all.
It's legal to water swatt and if the ducks are close they are dead right there in one shot. I would not do it on ducks that are out any farther than 25 yards or so. Mostly while I am jump shooting. So my ethics say I must feel confident I can kill what I am shooting at. That means no skybusting or shooting at a sitting duck further than the 25 yds I mentioned earlier.
I don't shoot at big game any further than I have practiced with my gun of choice either.
I don't shoot towards decoys and I wouldn't do it if there was anything or anyone I would not want to hit in the background.
I don't understand why some people can't just leave it at "to each his own". I highly doubt I will ever change my position on this unless game laws change to prohibit it.
Also I am Just trying to figure out why some try to justify a standing still Turkey or squirrel but not upland birds or waterfowl thats all. Yes they are different critters and different to hunt but not enough for me to see why a hunter who hunts both would treat them entirely different.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Perchjerk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

Feathers wrote:Kasilofchrisn,

IMO there is a much higher probability you will cripple a duck when you water swat vs a centered shot in flight because most of their vitals are pretty well protected when sitting on the water so again it is a bit of apples and oranges here.

Y'all are acting like every shot on a flying duck is gonna be a center shot bullseye. Every season I have people I bring hunting with me that are new to the sport and I have more confidence in them shooting a swimming duck than a flying duck. In a perfect world were every shot is perfect, sure I'll take a flying shot anyday but it's not a perfect world. Everyone has a different situation. So my point once again is no one has a right to tell anyone they shouldn't shoot a duck on the water. You hunt your way. I'll hunt mine. And I'll be willing to bet your hunt won't be affected.
Perchjerk
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Perchjerk wrote:
Feathers wrote:Kasilofchrisn,

IMO there is a much higher probability you will cripple a duck when you water swat vs a centered shot in flight because most of their vitals are pretty well protected when sitting on the water so again it is a bit of apples and oranges here.

Y'all are acting like every shot on a flying duck is gonna be a center shot bullseye. Every season I have people I bring hunting with me that are new to the sport and I have more confidence in them shooting a swimming duck than a flying duck. In a perfect world were every shot is perfect, sure I'll take a flying shot anyday but it's not a perfect world. Everyone has a different situation. So my point once again is no one has a right to tell anyone they shouldn't shoot a duck on the water. You hunt your way. I'll hunt mine. And I'll be willing to bet your hunt won't be affected.

Well said Perchjerk. In my hunting group, it is rare that we shoot ducks on the water. It happens though and I have done it before. I honestly don't feel strongly one way or another and wouldn't mind if someone in our group does it. Sometimes if a duck sneaks into the decoys and swims around a bit I like to leave it there to see if it can bring in some more if the birds are flying well. Then when we rise up to shoot the next flight if it comes in, I always keep an eye on that swimmer to see if he started to get up to blast him too.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:27 pm

I have the legal right to slam my testicles in my sliding glass door, but that doesn't mean i'm going to do it!
send the dog
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:59 pm

send the dog wrote:I have the legal right to slam my testicles in my sliding glass door, but that doesn't mean i'm going to do it!

That doesn't mean you should get upset at your neighbor because he does it!
To each his own!
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Kasilofchrisn wrote:To be honest Frank I am not much of a turkey hunter.
Although I did shoot 3 wild turkeys last September with my trusty old Winchester 12 gauge and I killed 2 more this spring.

Interesting. I wasn't aware you had wild turkeys on the Kenai!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby greenheadsmoker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Bottom line is water swatting is busch league. If you are a busch league kinda guy like Perch then by all means go ahead. I myself will stick to popping them out of the air.
greenheadsmoker
hunter

Postby Perchjerk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 pm

greenheadsmoker wrote:Bottom line is water swatting is busch league. If you are a busch league kinda guy like Perch then by all means go ahead. I myself will stick to popping them out of the air.

since my apparent busch league tactics affect u when ur hunting so much I'll never do it again. My apologies.
Perchjerk
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:12 am

Feathers wrote:

Because they are at a point in their lives where killing a sitting duck is nearly as exciting as taking one in the air, and I want them to have fun. And because I see shooting birds on the water as a choice of sport, rather than a sign of moral corruption.

Their dads, being country Cajuns brought up in a culture where hunting is as much, or more, about sustenance as sport, would probably pop sitting ducks without a second thought. (Though I honestly haven't paid enough attention to their shooting habits to say with certainty that they're anything but very good and safe shots.) And I'm sure the time will come, if it hasn't already, that the kids will notice that Papaw sticks to fliers. Whether they care to join me in that preference is among the very least of my concerns for their futures.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby greenheadsmoker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:54 am

Perchjerk wrote:
greenheadsmoker wrote:Bottom line is water swatting is busch league. If you are a busch league kinda guy like Perch then by all means go ahead. I myself will stick to popping them out of the air.

since my apparent busch league tactics affect u when ur hunting so much I'll never do it again. My apologies.

I accept your apology. It's pretty apparent you're still learning one day you will figure it out
greenheadsmoker
hunter

Postby Perchjerk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 am

What's even more Busch league is the fact that you give a sh$t so badly about what others are doing on the water within the law. My whole point was that I simply dont care if others do it because it does not affect me. Apparently you don't realize how childish you sound. One day you'll figure it out.
Perchjerk
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting