Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:06 am

How much more ethical is it to jump them and shoot them 1' off the water?

I dont shoot them on the water because I dont want to smoke my decoys and you dont have as clean of a shot on the vitals, but if someone can land a bird, who cares what they do. If you dont like how someone hunts, dont hunt with them again.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...


Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby agengo02 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Whichever legal method you use, it is ONLY unethical if you do not try to kill the animal as fast as possible.


This statement, however unintended, is actually a condemnation of shooting ducks on the water. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of shooters that are swatting are using the wrong ammunition to accomplish the task humanely.

That's a pretty broad statement, how are you coming across these facts? I can only use my experiences in that when I shoot a duck on the water he is dead. The fact is, I'm too cheap to waste ammo so if there is a better chance for me to kill a duck dead in 1 shot I am taking it. Maybe I just shoot them in the head, but if they are in the decoys they are well within a 1 shot range for water swatting.

agengo02 wrote:And the guy saying that a duck on the water is only a 1 in 10 shot to kill it, I call BS. I read that as you needed something to help your argument.


You can call it whatever you like, but the fact of the matter is that the guy calling it a 1 in 10 shot is probably pretty close to being correct. There is a good deal of difference between penetration through the breast and penetration through the backbone alone, let alone through the backbone AND folded wings! This cuts the exposed vital area to about 1/3 or less than the accepted average. This means that to be effective, a pattern needs to have a much higher density to ensure pellet strikes that will humanely kill the bird. It is the precise reason that I hunt ducks with 1 1/4oz #2 steel and keep 1 oz #6s on hand for any cripples.

Again, you must be referencing people who are shooting them too far away or something. I can only attest to my own experiences, but if you have a duck swimming in your decoys you can kill them dead with 1 shot on the water.

Frank
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 am

Where I hunt the most we shoot DOWN on our ducks from a 10' bank. So if they sneak in and land, they get wasted on the water. Unless of course they are in the decoys and not in the hole.

We let a flock of 20 teal land in the decoys last week, we jumped them and both of us got our 3 shots off before the ducks were eye level, dropping 7. So what I am saying is, jumping them is no harder of a shot than taking them on the water... and absolutely not "more ethical". Being ethical is killing the birds with the easiest shots possible to avoid cripples, that can mean shooting them on the water in the right scenario.
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 am

The" jist" of this thread is some guy wanted to point out he is a better and more ethical hunter than some of us. GIVE him that. Myself, I just giggle as I carry my full limit out on my strap. You want to know if they were in flight when I shot them? Go to Hades.


sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:42 pm

agengo02 wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Whichever legal method you use, it is ONLY unethical if you do not try to kill the animal as fast as possible.


This statement, however unintended, is actually a condemnation of shooting ducks on the water. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of shooters that are swatting are using the wrong ammunition to accomplish the task humanely.

That's a pretty broad statement, how are you coming across these facts? I can only use my experiences in that when I shoot a duck on the water he is dead. The fact is, I'm too cheap to waste ammo so if there is a better chance for me to kill a duck dead in 1 shot I am taking it. Maybe I just shoot them in the head, but if they are in the decoys they are well within a 1 shot range for water swatting.

agengo02 wrote:And the guy saying that a duck on the water is only a 1 in 10 shot to kill it, I call BS. I read that as you needed something to help your argument.


You can call it whatever you like, but the fact of the matter is that the guy calling it a 1 in 10 shot is probably pretty close to being correct. There is a good deal of difference between penetration through the breast and penetration through the backbone alone, let alone through the backbone AND folded wings! This cuts the exposed vital area to about 1/3 or less than the accepted average. This means that to be effective, a pattern needs to have a much higher density to ensure pellet strikes that will humanely kill the bird. It is the precise reason that I hunt ducks with 1 1/4oz #2 steel and keep 1 oz #6s on hand for any cripples.

Again, you must be referencing people who are shooting them too far away or something. I can only attest to my own experiences, but if you have a duck swimming in your decoys you can kill them dead with 1 shot on the water.

Frank


I don't think it's a broad statement at all. The fact that the angle of approach is steeper alone adds to the penetration requirement (see sloping armor on a tank to get an idea of the effect). Plus the recommended penetrations are based on ballistic gel which isn't a direct correlation to actual flesh. When a couple of extra layers of flesh bone and heavy feathers are added things change.

As far as your kills are concerned, one of three things is happening. One, you're getting lucky and putting a pellet into the head or neck. Two, your pellets or velocity are such that they will compensate for the increased penetration. Or, three, the range is so close that you might as well have reached and grabbed them by the neck (an exaggeration, but you get the point.) There's another very important thing to consider, especially when you are using very large shot. Shot can, and does, ricochet off water, particularly still water. These ricocheting pellets can travel several hundred yards and can cause damage or injury to persons or property down range. As far as swimming in your decoys is concerned, we typically set decoys out as far as 40 to 45 yards and most times never closer than 15. Our kill hole is about 25 to 30 yards. At ranges from the kill hole out, you're going to have a pretty difficult time with birds on the water in my experience. I base this on a lot of years of finishing off crippled birds with lead as well as steel.

And, MinnesotaDan, the same can be said for hunters that swat birds. Just look at what aunt betty wrote. The object of sport hunting is the sport, not the weight of your strap. Personally, I wouldn't hunt with anyone that water swats or someone who keeps score with the number of ducks they kill. By the way, your post is kind of hypocritical if you read it carefully.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby agengo02 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:I don't think it's a broad statement at all. The fact that the angle of approach is steeper alone adds to the penetration requirement (see sloping armor on a tank to get an idea of the effect). Plus the recommended penetrations are based on ballistic gel which isn't a direct correlation to actual flesh. When a couple of extra layers of flesh bone and heavy feathers are added things change.

As far as your kills are concerned, one of three things is happening. One, you're getting lucky and putting a pellet into the head or neck. Two, your pellets or velocity are such that they will compensate for the increased penetration. Or, three, the range is so close that you might as well have reached and grabbed them by the neck (an exaggeration, but you get the point.) There's another very important thing to consider, especially when you are using very large shot. Shot can, and does, ricochet off water, particularly still water. These ricocheting pellets can travel several hundred yards and can cause damage or injury to persons or property down range. As far as swimming in your decoys is concerned, we typically set decoys out as far as 40 to 45 yards and most times never closer than 15. Our kill hole is about 25 to 30 yards. At ranges from the kill hole out, you're going to have a pretty difficult time with birds on the water in my experience. I base this on a lot of years of finishing off crippled birds with lead as well as steel.

And, MinnesotaDan, the same can be said for hunters that swat birds. Just look at what aunt betty wrote. The object of sport hunting is the sport, not the weight of your strap. Personally, I wouldn't hunt with anyone that water swats or someone who keeps score with the number of ducks they kill. By the way, your post is kind of hypocritical if you read it carefully.

Frank



Well see there is the difference right there. My decoys are always within 30 yards and I never take shots outside of them. At 30 yards with 1 1/4oz #4s you can stand up and kill a duck on the water dead. You can try to be as technical as you want but that doesn't change what happens. Yeah if you are shooting ducks at 40+ yards on the water I doubt you will get a good kill shot, but I don't do that just like I don't take shots in the air at 40+ yards.

And you can accurately state the "overwhelming majority of shooters that are swatting are using the wrong ammunition to accomplish the task humanely"? Based on what facts? You can say that I may or may not be using the right load for shooting them on the water based off ballistics and what not, but the fact that I do kill them with 1 shot on the water disproves that.

Do you consider falconry ethical? Do you consider archery hunting for deer ethical? Black powder? None of these are the most effective way to kill game, but water swatting is what you are against?

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby woodduck14 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:21 pm

If I can get a bird into my decoys and it's swimming it's going to get shot.
If I sneak up on a duck and it's swimming it's going to get shot.
Everyone has their own opinon, but niether answer is right. It's up to that hunter, it shouldn't be as big of a discussion that it is.
Don't tread on me.
User avatar
woodduck14
hunter
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: western mass

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Smith » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Oh, but it's a fun discussion. I'm particularly amused that the guys who say it's hard to kill a sitting duck are the ones who say they never do it. I shoot them on the water whenever I feel like it, and I don't think I have ever lost one. That's not to say I have never used a follow up shot, but I've never lost one. Not one.
Smith
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Smith » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Frank Lopez wrote: There's another very important thing to consider, especially when you are using very large shot. Shot can, and does, ricochet off water, particularly still water. These ricocheting pellets can travel several hundred yards and can cause damage or injury to persons or property down range.

Frank


I would love to see the science backing up this claim. Several hundred yards and still causing damage? Steel? When shot nearly horizontal? I don't think so. Exactly what is your idea of very large shot?
Smith
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Quackhead90 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Frank[/quote][/quote]

I don't think it's a broad statement at all. The fact that the angle of approach is steeper alone adds to the penetration requirement (see sloping armor on a tank to get an idea of the effect). Plus the recommended penetrations are based on ballistic gel which isn't a direct correlation to actual flesh. When a couple of extra layers of flesh bone and heavy feathers are added things change.

As far as your kills are concerned, one of three things is happening. One, you're getting lucky and putting a pellet into the head or neck. Two, your pellets or velocity are such that they will compensate for the increased penetration. Or, three, the range is so close that you might as well have reached and grabbed them by the neck (an exaggeration, but you get the point.) There's another very important thing to consider, especially when you are using very large shot. Shot can, and does, ricochet off water, particularly still water. These ricocheting pellets can travel several hundred yards and can cause damage or injury to persons or property down range. As far as swimming in your decoys is concerned, we typically set decoys out as far as 40 to 45 yards and most times never closer than 15. Our kill hole is about 25 to 30 yards. At ranges from the kill hole out, you're going to have a pretty difficult time with birds on the water in my experience. I base this on a lot of years of finishing off crippled birds with lead as well as steel.

And, MinnesotaDan, the same can be said for hunters that swat birds. Just look at what aunt betty wrote. The object of sport hunting is the sport, not the weight of your strap. Personally, I wouldn't hunt with anyone that water swats or someone who keeps score with the number of ducks they kill. By the way, your post is kind of hypocritical if you read it carefully.

Frank[/quote]

I've been hit with pellets and all they did just bounce off. Unless you have some data to back up your theory of pellets traveling hundreds of yards and causing injury, I recommend not commenting on it.

So if i shoot a duck out of the air and the duck hits the water still alive, does that mean the shot I took was unethical? I can head shot a duck on the water a lot easier than i can stone one out of the air.
Quackhead90
hunter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Quackhead90 wrote:I've been hit with pellets and all they did just bounce off. Unless you have some data to back up your theory of pellets traveling hundreds of yards and causing injury, I recommend not commenting on it.


I had a lens of my shooting glasses shattered by a #1 steel pellet at slightly over 200 yards. I've seen damage to fiberglass hulls on boats at slightly over 500 feet. I've seen the calculations for piercing flesh for the various pellet sizes, too. So, yeah, I have some data and some first hand experience.

Quackhead90 wrote:I can head shot a duck on the water a lot easier than i can stone one out of the air.


If you mean that it's easier to put the pattern on a sitting bird, then yes, I agree. Particularly if you can't shoot flying. If that's the case, I suggest that you spend some time on a clays range with a good instructor or look for another sport.

If you mean that a duck on the water is easier to kill than a duck in the air, then maybe, or maybe not. If you're using loads that will allow consistent kills for ducks sitting on the water, then you're going to have a very difficult time bringing one down in the air. The pellets simply will lack sufficient penetration. On the other hand, if you're using loads that are consistent with conventional wisdom, you simply will not have sufficient pattern density to cleanly kill sitting ducks with any sort of accepted statistical reliability.

And finally, if you do not understand any of what I've written, they I completely understand your position. :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Quackhead90 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Quackhead90 wrote:I've been hit with pellets and all they did just bounce off. Unless you have some data to back up your theory of pellets traveling hundreds of yards and causing injury, I recommend not commenting on it.


I had a lens of my shooting glasses shattered by a #1 steel pellet at slightly over 200 yards. I've seen damage to fiberglass hulls on boats at slightly over 500 feet. I've seen the calculations for piercing flesh for the various pellet sizes, too. So, yeah, I have some data and some first hand experience.

Quackhead90 wrote:I can head shot a duck on the water a lot easier than i can stone one out of the air.


If you mean that it's easier to put the pattern on a sitting bird, then yes, I agree. Particularly if you can't shoot flying. If that's the case, I suggest that you spend some time on a clays range with a good instructor or look for another sport.

If you mean that a duck on the water is easier to kill than a duck in the air, then maybe, or maybe not. If you're using loads that will allow consistent kills for ducks sitting on the water, then you're going to have a very difficult time bringing one down in the air. The pellets simply will lack sufficient penetration. On the other hand, if you're using loads that are consistent with conventional wisdom, you simply will not have sufficient pattern density to cleanly kill sitting ducks with any sort of accepted statistical reliability.

And finally, if you do not understand any of what I've written, they I completely understand your position. :lol3:

Frank


I would like to see the data or the source then please
Quackhead90
hunter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Pepper1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:08 pm

I got shot once from just across a small pond (like maybe 75 or so yards), long ago, pellets just bounced off me. Good thing too, it was my brother ! Guess he took a swing at the inheritance, haha
Pepper1
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm
Location: Silverton, Oregon ( central Willamette Valley)

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:00 am

The fact is if you point a shotgun level with the ground/water and shoot, the pellets will go little father than 100 to 150 yards. Try it over water on a calm day. Therefore skipping shoot won't travel much farther. It's simple physics really, an object does not gain speed from skipping off something it loses speed due to resistance/drag, otherwise when kids skipped rocks they would go until they hit the other shore. I find it incredibly hard to believe a skip can travel several hundred yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby buffalorider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 am

Stish85 wrote:The fact is if you point a shotgun level with the ground/water and shoot, the pellets will go little father than 100 to 150 yards. Try it over water on a calm day. Therefore skipping shoot won't travel much farther. It's simple physics really, an object does not gain speed from skipping off something it loses speed due to resistance/drag, otherwise when kids skipped rocks they would go until they hit the other shore. I find it incredibly hard to believe a skip can travel several hundred yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk



You are correct. I've read this entire thread, and I am left wondering if Frank even hunts? Why in the world would anyone shoot 2's at ducks? If you can get them in or over the decoys, then 4's and 6's work just fine.

I'd much prefer to skillet shoot a duck at 10 yards than pass shoot one at 40. Once they're in the decoys, you've beaten them, the shooting is secondary.
feet down, toes up
buffalorider
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 am

buffalorider wrote:
Stish85 wrote:The fact is if you point a shotgun level with the ground/water and shoot, the pellets will go little father than 100 to 150 yards. Try it over water on a calm day. Therefore skipping shoot won't travel much farther. It's simple physics really, an object does not gain speed from skipping off something it loses speed due to resistance/drag, otherwise when kids skipped rocks they would go until they hit the other shore. I find it incredibly hard to believe a skip can travel several hundred yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk



You are correct. I've read this entire thread, and I am left wondering if Frank even hunts? Why in the world would anyone shoot 2's at ducks? If you can get them in or over the decoys, then 4's and 6's work just fine.

I'd much prefer to skillet shoot a duck at 10 yards than pass shoot one at 40. Once they're in the decoys, you've beaten them, the shooting is secondary.


You are from texas, I haven't known texas to be a big mallard/black duck location.. am I way off on that? I've always heard of texas being a teal/pintail hole. Both of those ducks migrate fairly early and stay on the lean side. Frank is up in NY, which is similar to where I hunt. Starting in about a week our ducks will be huge northern mallards. These ducks will have a layer of fat 1/8" thick under the skin, and a layer of feathers you wouldn't believe! They are the size of, and sometimes bigger than a lesser canada. They dwarf a "regular" mallard, we shot one of each the other day and you clearly see the difference. I've seen these ducks take loads of #4's over decoys (25 yds) and fall crippled. When cleaning you will see the shot will have made it into the breast, a couple to the gut cavity, but mostly stuck against the breastbone. Not to mention the bird will be full of blood clots and have to soak for 4 days before its edible. If you don't hit the head with the 4's the bird is crippled. With 2's most of the time the shot goes cleanly through the bird or gets caught in the back on an incoming shot. The result is a stone dead duck.

#6's on a northern mallard wouldn't even make it to vitals unless you hit the head, at 20 yards. :wink:

Shot 4's in 2011 and 2012, thought they were the beast thing since sliced bread... until the northern ducks came.
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby buffalorider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:37 am

BBK wrote:
buffalorider wrote:
Stish85 wrote:The fact is if you point a shotgun level with the ground/water and shoot, the pellets will go little father than 100 to 150 yards. Try it over water on a calm day. Therefore skipping shoot won't travel much farther. It's simple physics really, an object does not gain speed from skipping off something it loses speed due to resistance/drag, otherwise when kids skipped rocks they would go until they hit the other shore. I find it incredibly hard to believe a skip can travel several hundred yards.


Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk



You are correct. I've read this entire thread, and I am left wondering if Frank even hunts? Why in the world would anyone shoot 2's at ducks? If you can get them in or over the decoys, then 4's and 6's work just fine.

I'd much prefer to skillet shoot a duck at 10 yards than pass shoot one at 40. Once they're in the decoys, you've beaten them, the shooting is secondary.


You are from texas, I haven't known texas to be a big mallard/black duck location.. am I way off on that? I've always heard of texas being a teal/pintail hole. Both of those ducks migrate fairly early and stay on the lean side. Frank is up in NY, which is similar to where I hunt. Starting in about a week our ducks will be huge northern mallards. These ducks will have a layer of fat 1/8" thick under the skin, and a layer of feathers you wouldn't believe! They are the size of, and sometimes bigger than a lesser canada. They dwarf a "regular" mallard, we shot one of each the other day and you clearly see the difference. I've seen these ducks take loads of #4's over decoys (25 yds) and fall crippled. When cleaning you will see the shot will have made it into the breast, a couple to the gut cavity, but mostly stuck against the breastbone. Not to mention the bird will be full of blood clots and have to soak for 4 days before its edible. If you don't hit the head with the 4's the bird is crippled. With 2's most of the time the shot goes cleanly through the bird or gets caught in the back on an incoming shot. The result is a stone dead duck.

#6's on a northern mallard wouldn't even make it to vitals unless you hit the head, at 20 yards. :wink:

Shot 4's in 2011 and 2012, thought they were the beast thing since sliced bread... until the northern ducks came.



Gotcha'. Yeah, I shoot 30-40 mallards a year normally, but when we kill 'em they are in the trees and close so its never been an issue.

For teal, 7.5 low brass is where it's at with an IC.
feet down, toes up
buffalorider
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am

I shoot 2's or BB's at ducks in timber with full choke. Its like shooting turkeys. I get a lot of head shots.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 am

aunt betty wrote:I shoot 2's or BB's at ducks in timber with full choke. Its like shooting turkeys. I get a lot of head shots.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk


:no: I thought you hunted the metro
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I prefer to shoot 2's or bb's with a full choke even early season when teal and woodducks are around. I have yet to destroy one. However, most of my hunting is one big northern mallards and divers. Like was said before with that thick layer of fat they get you need a little more knock down power. I also have found that when shooting full choke typically the birds is either dead or I flat out miss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Quackhead90 wrote:I would like to see the data or the source then please


Try John Taylor's book for starters. As an example steel BBs started at 1400fps or so will pierce the skin at 175 yards. No. 2s launched at the same speed will penetrate the skin at about 150. And just so that we're clear, I said damage or injury to persons, like in the example I gave. What do you think would happen if you took one of those #2 pellets to the eye?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Quackhead90 wrote:I would like to see the data or the source then please


Try John Taylor's book for starters. As an example steel BBs started at 1400fps or so will pierce the skin at 175 yards. No. 2s launched at the same speed will penetrate the skin at about 150. And just so that we're clear, I said damage or injury to persons, like in the example I gave. What do you think would happen if you took one of those #2 pellets to the eye?

Frank


If that is the case then none of us should ever shoot at anything...EVER. Waterfowlers hunt in marshes, timber and rivers, etc. We also wear camo. We hunt in these low visibility areas shooting into the air, low passing shots and can never be certain where our pellets land. We can also often not be certain where other hunters are as we may never see them come out. Something to think about.

If people are getting hit and hurt then they are within 175 yards and whoever is shooting should not be taking that shot in the first place. I have been rained on several times never has it felt harder than small ice pellets. I have had shot spray across my decoy spread from hunters less than 150 yards away and bounce off decoys. I'm not saying what you say is impossible it is just highly unlikely if people use common sense when shooting.

Once shooting at a duck on the water at say 20 yards a pellet leaving the barrel at 1500fps has already slowed considerably. Once it hits the water and skips it is going even slower. Several hundred yards would slow it even further the odds if it being dangerous after a skip are slim at that range.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Stish85 wrote:If that is the case then none of us should ever shoot at anything...EVER. Waterfowlers hunt in marshes, timber and rivers, etc. We also wear camo. We hunt in these low visibility areas shooting into the air, low passing shots and can never be certain where our pellets land. We can also often not be certain where other hunters are as we may never see them come out. Something to think about.

If people are getting hit and hurt then they are within 175 yards and whoever is shooting should not be taking that shot in the first place. I have been rained on several times never has it felt harder than small ice pellets. I have had shot spray across my decoy spread from hunters less than 150 yards away and bounce off decoys. I'm not saying what you say is impossible it is just highly unlikely if people use common sense when shooting.


This has to be the most stupid, irresponsible answer ever posted on this or any forum!!!!! Did you have to take a Sportsman's Ed class to get your license? It is the shooter's responsibility to know his target AND BEYOND!!!!! You're an accident waiting to happen, period.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Stish85 wrote:We hunt in these low visibility areas shooting into the air, low passing shots and can never be certain where our pellets land.


:hammer:
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Steel Shot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:31 pm

I only waterswat hens.
User avatar
Steel Shot
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: SE Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest