Spread Layout ?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Spread Layout ?

Postby Small Block » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:12 pm

How do you fellers do it in your neck of the woods. I'm of the impression that most often the quackers prefer to light into the wind. If that be the case then you want your shooting lane facing down wind or the wind coming from your back if you will. Correct me if i get it wrong . I understand one needs to make a horseshoe shape string and leave a landing zone in the middle towards the blind. How far out for the string and how many deeks in a string? I've used as many a 100 deeks, swimmers in the middle, robos, and mallard machine for effect. What's yalls method. Of course a few honkers setting around and it dont hurt to have a confidence crane stuck in the mud. I have loaded the water with lots of deeks outside of the horseshoe hoping to funnel the incoming to the open hole. What works for you folks?
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Re: Spread Layout ?

Postby m.teeter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Every set will probably be different, in most cases. I just watch the birds when I'm scouting them. When I come in to hunt then I try and replicate how they were sitting on the water. I never use a horseshoe or a "J" pattern, I know that's what everyone says and it may work for some people, I've just never had any luck with it. You do need a hole, or landing zone, but I usually create this by setting two different groups of dekes.
m.teeter
hunter

Re: Spread Layout ?

Postby Small Block » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 am

We all know every day will be different as far as weather is concerned so yes many variables may come into play. You say up seldom use a horsesho or J but use two groups? I guess those would be mallards? Do you set a group on right and one on left and leave a LZ in the middle. You didn't say. Any motion deeks involved in your set up? If so where are they located. Thanks for the reply.
Small Block in West Plains, Mo.
Small Block
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting