landing zone?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

landing zone?

Postby teal12 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:07 pm

This is my first year duck hunting and i was wanting to ask how big should my landing zone be for teal? I also will be hunting woodies and mallards but all at seperate times. What would be a good landing zone size for each of these. i have half a dozen bwt deks and half a dozen woodie deeks. then i have about thirty mallard deeks.
teal12
hunter

Re: landing zone?

Postby Hick4221 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

It all depends on the groups you are seeing. If you are seeing singles and pairs you don't need a landing zone large enough for 20, and vice versa
And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.Gen 1:28
Hick4221
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm

To me this depends on what your hunting where your hunting and the conditions. In timber, marsh, or potholes? For blue bird days with no wind mallards don't really need a landing zone as long as the flocks are not to big. They have no problem dropping right in the middle of deeks, windy wet weather days I use the deeks as guide, I try to funnel them into the hole, woodies are a little different haven't really hunted woodies only but I do know they fly more like a diver as in lower and don't land vertical as much as horizontal(at least on the river where I seethem).
Last edited by Tipsntails7 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Teal and other puddle ducks do not need as large of a landing zone as many think. I've seen mallards drop into groups of birds where it didn't look like there was enough room for 1 more. As far as woodies go, in swamps and timber they come in high and dive bomb down between the trees and land similar to mallards but typically without the circling.

Typically I like to leave enough of a hole for several birds to comfortably land (8' or so depending upon the size of the groups I'm seeing) and an old trick is to place a single hen deek in the middle of the hole as added attraction to the birds. If you have a fairly large spread another trick is to tighten up the deeks around the edges and place them 3-4' apart on the middle of "the hole" where birds can comfortably land next to them.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby hannibal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Throw out 2 dozen and 2 mojos..........leave a little room between the decoys. No landing zone needed really. They will come to the Mojos and land in amongst the mixed spread.
hannibal
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I always just put out 2 groups of deeks. One larger group about 20-30 yards out with about 20 mallards and larger ducks. Then the second group I put as close to me as I can and it usually has a half dozen teal and around a dozen mallards it it. I stick the mojo just on the outside of the closest group. I usually put a couple mallards I between the groups on the downwind side to make a stopper so the ducks drop in up front and not down wind of the spread. I never put my decoys more than 30 yards away because most of the bigger ducks will land on the outside of the spread later in the season when they are more wary.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm

And don't make anything look uniform like a U or a V with all the decoys 3 feet apart. It isn't natural. Keep some close and some 5-6 feet apart.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I've started trying to avoid the v j and u formations as well. I feel like ducks have become hole shy in recent years. We have been running a spread that allows ducks to land into the wind and then we put decoys wherever we don't want the ducks to land, leaving a room in the ideal shooting area. Just try a lot of variety and don't be afraid to move mid hunt if something isn't working and ducks are flaring. Like was said earlier, watch how the ducks behave.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting