Teal times

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Teal times

Postby Chief Shootemduck » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 am

We have a family lake that used to be a resevoir. We smacked the crap out of teal sat sun and monday this past weekend. I've only hunted Teal in the mornings and its fast and furious at first light and usually is over by 8-9 am. My question is, do any of you hunt Teal in the evening? Think it would be productive?
Whether you think you can or you can't....You're right.
Chief Shootemduck
hunter

Re: Teal times

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I have and you MUST be on the X. Other than that they will buzz by a few passes just to check you out and leave. Generally in my experience shooting is the best an hour or less before end of LST. However, it is best, and advisable, to hunt early mornings. More birds and more action equals more fun. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Maybe regional, but my experience has differed some from the above. Our afternoon teal hunting is generally good, and often better than mornings toward season's end. That, and I've found September season afternoon bluewing flights often peak an hour or so before sunset and taper off as sunset approaches.

Bottom line, however, is always that you won't know if you don't go.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 am

You can hunt any duck at any time of the day... With that said duck hunting is the best in the morning. Putting birds to bed doesn't help you out the next day. Normally helps the people out south of that location!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 pm

BoB_25 wrote:You can hunt any duck at any time of the day... With that said duck hunting is the best in the morning. Putting birds to bed doesn't help you out the next day. Normally helps the people out south of that location!

What makes you think afternoon hunting is any more likely to push ducks out of an area than morning hunting?
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
BoB_25 wrote:You can hunt any duck at any time of the day... With that said duck hunting is the best in the morning. Putting birds to bed doesn't help you out the next day. Normally helps the people out south of that location!

What makes you think afternoon hunting is any more likely to push ducks out of an area than morning hunting?

If you close the place down your shooting to LST. Then you have to get out of there....You stop birds from getting in and the one that do get in get kicked out when you leave. so yah that less birds no matter how you look at.

Seen the same amount of birds dump into a marsh hunting or scouting the next day always seems to show... (Non migrating nights)
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:35 am

No one's said anything about hunting the same spot all day, so pick your poison: morning or evening hunt there unless it's a high traffic area that will stand both. The birds are hungry in the afternoon and coming for food, and more likely to move over than migrate if pushed out. Push them out in the morning, and they're well fed and more apt to keep moving. In any event, with teal the migration concerns are more apt to be weather and their internal clock than gun pressure.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 am

There is a difference to afternoon hunting and putting birds to bed!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:58 am

Absolutely, most ducks are going to dinner in the afternoon and to bed in the morning. 'Least in my part of the country.

(Actually, I'd bet they eat and sleep some day and night, but am speaking of their major daily moves to feed and loaf.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 pm

I've had pretty good success hunting teal in the afternoon. The birds will just come straight in and land in the decoys alot of time. That being said, if the birds are roosting on the lake you're probably gonna end up scaring everything off
duckman27
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting