Mojos in the late season

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Mojos in the late season

Postby MallardMan5 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Are mojos in the late season a good thing or a bad thing? I hunt southern michigan and I usually use them all year but Ive noticed that later in the season birds tend to flare. Dont know if its the mojo, the spread or what. Wondering what your thoughts were on motorized decoys in the late season.
MallardMan5
hunter

Re: Mojos in the late season

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:38 pm

I think mojos only work if the birds are commited to decoying but if the are circling its notice birds tdnd to.flare as well. This year imma just use the.mojos on some.close to home hunts
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I pull all my mojo's late season and use a jerk string only to create movement. Everyone and their dog have mojo's now, the ducks have seen them all the way from canada and ducks aren't stupid. People are, ducks are not.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Whether Mojos are a plus or minus depends on any number of things: type of bird, location, competition, one's ability to call and hide and so on. Lot of folks are convinced they need a spinner all season for all ducks - and maybe they're right.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 pm

okduckdude wrote:I pull all my mojo's late season and use a jerk string only to create movement. Everyone and their dog have mojo's now, the ducks have seen them all the way from canada and ducks aren't stupid. People are, ducks are not.

I agree. Switch to the jerk rig in the late season and I use less decoys as well(depending on the area I'm hunting)
Team Duck Meat is a group of family and friends enjoying the outdoors and sharing it with others. Please check out our facebook page for great pictures and videos of our hunting trips. Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Duck ... 0373692467
J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat)
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Ive noticed they work better on sunny days no matter what time of the year. Over cast days can be hit and miss with them, but thats just what Ive found.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I will only use them during teal season. I've seen them flare too many ducks during the regular season to make me want to use them. They work GREAT for teal though
duckman27
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Up where you are in MI I would think the attraction of a mojo would depend upon you hunting birds that have been there for a while or birds fresh from Canada. Down here they can be iffy after the birds initially get here as they've seen them the whole way down. I rarely use them down here in the late season unless a good front has pushed a bunch of new birds down...even then they are fairly educated to them and success can be questionable.

Mojo or not the problem we have in the south is the PHD that ducks get en route as they see every size and shape of spread and hear every kind of call from the US border to the holes we hunt. It just makes it that more interesting and forces us to pay attention to the birds and what they seem to like or dislike in the spread and with the calling.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting