Keepin the water open?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Keepin the water open?

Postby Small Block » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Keepin the water open is one advantage to having ducks in your face. When the water is hard and about 1/2" thick what method do yall use to keep a spot open for the birds? I have waded around and broke out a 20' circle and had great success but in a short time it only refreezes. Been thinking of adapting a trolling motor and aim it slightly to the surface and keep some water moving. Anyone try this? I dont have an irragation pump like the big boys in the rice fields.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Re: Keepin the water open?

Postby bulletman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:11 am

I tried the trolling motor trick last year, the couple of times we hunted when it froze some. We had a 30 pound trolling motor on our Kara boat and I rigged a board that I could adjust to get the prop height to try and cause currnt as well as motion in the decoys. It did give just a little motion to the water but it honestly didn't move enough water to say it kept the hole open at all, we still had to go splash around in the decoys every half-hour to keep the sheet ice from forming.
bulletman
hunter

Postby imboray » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 am

We took the head off a trolling motor & mounted it to a T post. Ran an extension cord back to the blind and hooked it to a car battery. You have to initially break a hole but the motor will make the hole bigger and would certainly keep the initial hole open. Place it a foot or so below the water and you should get a pretty big plume of water. We usually get 6 or 7 hrs out of a fully charged battery. If this isn't an option we used 2 or 3 Higdon pulsators. They did a pretty good job when we didn't have a trollin motor.
imboray
hunter

Postby So IL ducks9 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 pm

If you can use a generator we run two ice eaters one of which is an actual ice eater. The other we made out of an old sump pump mounted in a milk crate. It works pretty darn good compared to the price of a second ice eater.
So IL ducks9
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 am

55 gallon drum of glycol.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

So IL ducks9 wrote:If you can use a generator we run two ice eaters one of which is an actual ice eater. The other we made out of an old sump pump mounted in a milk crate. It works pretty darn good compared to the price of a second ice eater.

So you sit there and listen to a generator run the hole time your hunting?
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am

We built a plywood box to cover it then rerouted the exhaust into the water.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm

mdfowlman wrote:We built a plywood box to cover it then rerouted the exhaust into the water.

Can you put a picture of this on here? I'm looking for ways to quiet my bowfishing generator down.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm

I dont have any photos. Ill take some. It probably wont work for ur bowfishing rig though its 30" wide long and tall
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby So IL ducks9 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:10 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
So IL ducks9 wrote:If you can use a generator we run two ice eaters one of which is an actual ice eater. The other we made out of an old sump pump mounted in a milk crate. It works pretty darn good compared to the price of a second ice eater.

So you sit there and listen to a generator run the hole time your hunting?

No we usually let it run all nite, but we have shot plenty with it running. Those Honda 2000i's are amazingly quiet.
So IL ducks9
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:01 pm

mdfowlman wrote:I dont have any photos. Ill take some. It probably wont work for ur bowfishing rig though its 30" wide long and tall

Did you use any kind of insulation to quiet it or just the plywood? Do you ventilate the box to keep in cool?
Sorry for hijacking the thread!!
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting