Scouting flooded timber?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Scouting flooded timber?

Postby holtspur » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Ok guys this may be a dumb question,.... but do you usually scout it and see where in the woods the ducks are lighting, or do you find a good open hole and just rely on motion in the decoys and calling to bring em in as the fly over?
holtspur
hunter

Re: Scouting flooded timber?

Postby okduckdude » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am

Im putting a post on here as well because i have no idea lol. I have never hunted timber so maybe we both will find out! :thumbsup:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 pm

genrally i scout while i hunt by listing to where big vollys of shooting comes from and then when i get done hunting my hole i will go and look at that hole and see if birds are still lighting towards that direction, but if i didnt hunt the day before i go somewere i just wing it.
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby holtspur » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Glad to know I'm not alone!
holtspur
hunter

Postby holtspur » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 pm

C'mon guys I know someone has some advice! I know scouting generally is a must but I wasn't sure with the vast amount of water thats in the woods, its by far different than distinquishing from one pond to another. Again I appoligize for the ignorance.
holtspur
hunter

Postby duckbones » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Just like field hunting, best to find where they want to be - thats where you set up. Hunt on the X.
duckbones
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Pretty much the same as scouting anything else, just requires more foot/boat time because the area you're scouting isn't wide open. Google Earth can be a good tool. Hit the channels if you can until you find the flyway(s), then follow the birds. Finding open spots and food are your best bets before the birds arrive. Oh yea, "boom" scouting is for jackasses. :tongue:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby holtspur » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks guys!
holtspur
hunter

Postby JON » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:27 pm

We use helicopters.
JON
hunter

Postby oscar67213 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:41 pm

i agree about follow the boom. don't be a scab and find you're own honey hole! make it part of the hunt ,you will find it very rewarding when you scout around [boat time ,bino's,windshield time] killin is only part of the hunt. use aerial photo and google earth etc.....
good luck and enjoy the hunt
oscar67213
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 am

jack lowe wrote:genrally i scout while i hunt by listing to where big vollys of shooting comes from and then when i get done hunting my hole i will go and look at that hole and see if birds are still lighting towards that direction, but if i didnt hunt the day before i go somewere i just wing it.

This is what we did and everyone we knew did on public flooded timber ground. You get a good shoot in a hole one day you better get back there early the next, cause someone else will be trying to get it. Listening to other groups shooting is how we came up with a great spot for a couple of years. On first come public hunting ground I don't ever feel that the first group there is a scab. I do think that the last guys there who set up down wind or on top of you are jerks.
Last edited by noweil on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 am

Boom scouting is about like internet scouting. For a buncha pansys that dont know how to find birds the real way. If your a real duck hunter get out and find the birds the real way. Its not even duck hunting anymore. The young generation is ruining it for everyone. Boom scouters are the same guys that set up 50 yards down wind of you, buncha wanna be kids. :fingerhead:
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:25 am

That's pansies.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:06 pm

i boom scout all the time and yes im 16 but i dont set up on people and never will. i find my own holes and i can gurantee that i killed more birds last year by boom scouting then you did by driving around wasting gas. but if you wanna say that my genration thangs up go for it but im sure you were 16 once and did the same thangs we do all that happend was you lossed your big boy pants and cant run with the young bucks any more. either be quite or talk about sumthing you know about and dont post crap like that.
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby Folsom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm

jack lowe wrote:i boom scout all the time and yes im 16 but i dont set up on people and never will. i find my own holes and i can gurantee that i killed more birds last year by boom scouting then you did by driving around wasting gas. but if you wanna say that my genration thangs up go for it but im sure you were 16 once and did the same thangs we do all that happend was you lossed your big boy pants and cant run with the young bucks any more. either be quite or talk about sumthing you know about and dont post crap like that.

Your post here is what he and others are talking about our generation. I'm 24, I won't say I have never heard shoots and went over and scouted that area afterwards, but I like to find the birds prier to the hunt and not have to worry about the guys (mostly my age) coming in and setting up on top of me.

Arrogant posts like yours above does nothing more, but makes thing more difficult for the younger generation. I do remember when I was 16 though, hopefully you will mature and realize your not half the duck hunter now that you think you are. Good day.
Folsom
hunter

Postby oscar67213 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 pm

well said folsom! i agree . i don't think it helps any of us to desrespect each other.
public or not if u are trying to beat someone to a spot that is why they set up on top of you most likely [not that its right]
i think you are missing the piont . it's not just about number of birds killed ,but the hunt as a whole. i can recall some of my favorite hunts that had nothing to do with qauntity .
i think as you mature as a hunter you will get it. but in the process respect the old fart hunter and he might just share some of his wisdom with you.
only a fool has nothing left to learn
:wink:
oscar67213
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 am

jack lowe wrote:i boom scout all the time and yes im 16 but i dont set up on people and never will. i find my own holes and i can gurantee that i killed more birds last year by boom scouting then you did by driving around wasting gas. but if you wanna say that my genration thangs up go for it but im sure you were 16 once and did the same thangs we do all that happend was you lossed your big boy pants and cant run with the young bucks any more. either be quite or talk about sumthing you know about and dont post crap like that.

If you were "boom" scouting then you weren't finding your own holes...I should think that is a simple concept. "Boom" scouters are among the lowest life forms in the duck hunter community. They possess neither the intelligence or work ethic that it takes to find their own spots so they resort to stealing them from those that do. :fingerhead:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby DDTHNC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

CutEm214 wrote:

If you were "boom" scouting then you weren't finding your own holes...I should think that is a simple concept. "Boom" scouters are among the lowest life forms in the duck hunter community. They possess neither the intelligence or work ethic that it takes to find their own spots so they resort to stealing them from those that do. :fingerhead:

very well put. we have jr commanders everywhere here. Thank God for private leases.
Life is tough, but it's even tougher when your stupid. John Wayne
DDTHNC
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Your right, i was 16 once....... I drove around and asked for hunting spots, scouted by using things called binoculars, ignored other peoples shots, and you know what I'm a better hunter because of it. One day you will run into an area where people don't hunt either by being in a remote area or by gaining permission or leasing private land. Then how handy will your "boom" scouting will be then? So quit being a troll and take some advise from your elders, boy.

Speaking of being 16, i ran into some "boom" scouters that were in their 30's or 40's when they walked up on me one time on public land. It was the second or third week of the season and i usually hunted the same area and they were like "we heard a lot of shooting over her the past few weeks and we thought we would come and check it out...... So they all just aren't young.... Also this year all the area's i hunted last year have blinds in the exact spot i hunted last year... By whom? Boom scouters....

To each is their own, i put in the gas, i put in the miles (including nautical miles), and i work my arse off. The people that know me in my area know that I'm one of the hardest working duck hunters in the area. I have gained a lot of respect that way. So Mr. Lowe if i were you i would take heed and stop the boom scouting, get some respect because all the old guys of the area's you hunt will disrespect you and neither will anyone else. If you do start working your tail off scouting you will gain respect and watch the opportunities open. You will gain more area's to hunt and the respect of the community...

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:08 pm

:no:

I'm 19 almost 20 and kids like you are the reason that I've just about stopped taking other people hunting. Ya'll don't want to put the work in but are more than happy if somebody else finds the ducks for you and then you ask them to tag along. I get texts constantly during duck season from guys like you wondering where the ducks are at and how we were killing so many and when I don't respond to them I somehow become the bad guy. The guys on here that are mad at you are the ones who have put in the miles and hours, found the ducks and then have guys like you show up in their spot the next morning after their first hunt in the spot. You won't be able to comprend this though because you're the one that is leeching off other guy's spots because you are too lazy to scout for yourself :no:
duckman27
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

sorry what i said what disrepectful and tacky and i see what all of yal are saying and how boom scouting can lead to bad habits later on down the road and i will definalty change my ways, because i love duck hunting and by what yal are saying i can see how that can be very determental towards duck hunting, and i used to think that what i did was bad A but now i realize it just makes me look like a dumb A , and all of yal are right it dont matter how many birds i kill its about the memorys i make while im with my buddys or my dad. thanks yal...sorry for my above post
jack lowe
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:29 am

I do not think that boom scouting and setting up on top of someone else are the same issue at all. I think everyone who hunts public land pays attention to where the shooting is taking place. I don't care if it is flooded timber, lakes, marshes, or fields. There is nothing wrong with checking out other spots when the shooting is done. Some fields, timber holes, lake points, and wetlands are just more productive spots than others. To not expect other people to scout a public spot that is doing a lot of shooting is not even realistic. To expect some level of ownership of a public site as a result of having a good hunt there in the past shows an entitlement mentality that is very unrealistic. Public land is first come first serve where we have hunted. I have seen people spend the night in a boat and a field to get the spot. I have seen foot races, bicycle races, and boat races to get a spot. It is all part of hunting public land. If you do a lot of shooting someone will pay attention. Boom scouting has nothing to do with walking in on guys or setting up on them. Maybe your definition of boom scouting is different than mine, but paying attention to the areas that are doing lots of shooting is not a problem in the world of duck hunting on public land.
noweil
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 am

noweil wrote:I do not think that boom scouting and setting up on top of someone else are the same issue at all. I think everyone who hunts public land pays attention to where the shooting is taking place. I don't care if it is flooded timber, lakes, marshes, or fields. There is nothing wrong with checking out other spots when the shooting is done. Some fields, timber holes, lake points, and wetlands are just more productive spots than others. To not expect other people to scout a public spot that is doing a lot of shooting is not even realistic. To expect some level of ownership of a public site as a result of having a good hunt there in the past shows an entitlement mentality that is very unrealistic. Public land is first come first serve where we have hunted. I have seen people spend the night in a boat and a field to get the spot. I have seen foot races, bicycle races, and boat races to get a spot. It is all part of hunting public land. If you do a lot of shooting someone will pay attention. Boom scouting has nothing to do with walking in on guys or setting up on them. Maybe your definition of boom scouting is different than mine, but paying attention to the areas that are doing lots of shooting is not a problem in the world of duck hunting on public land.

Guess that's the difference in the two of us... I scout for birds...and you scout for me. :fingerhead:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

noweil wrote:I do not think that boom scouting and setting up on top of someone else are the same issue at all. I think everyone who hunts public land pays attention to where the shooting is taking place. I don't care if it is flooded timber, lakes, marshes, or fields. There is nothing wrong with checking out other spots when the shooting is done. Some fields, timber holes, lake points, and wetlands are just more productive spots than others. To not expect other people to scout a public spot that is doing a lot of shooting is not even realistic. To expect some level of ownership of a public site as a result of having a good hunt there in the past shows an entitlement mentality that is very unrealistic. Public land is first come first serve where we have hunted. I have seen people spend the night in a boat and a field to get the spot. I have seen foot races, bicycle races, and boat races to get a spot. It is all part of hunting public land. If you do a lot of shooting someone will pay attention. Boom scouting has nothing to do with walking in on guys or setting up on them. Maybe your definition of boom scouting is different than mine, but paying attention to the areas that are doing lots of shooting is not a problem in the world of duck hunting on public land.

I agree. There is definitely a difference in trying to beat someone else to a honey hole on public land and interfering with their hunting. At the same time I understand how it can be frustrating to have someone else "steal" a hole that you killed ducks out of the day before. Also, to chime in on the age debate that has been waged on this feed I would like to say that I'm 18. I understand that many hunters in my generation are ignorant of etiquette and use everything they can to kill ducks. Hunting public land can be incredibly disappointing. I remember high school and hearing my friends talk about killing limits every weekend at their private club that their Dad's paid for. Chances are that the kids who are hunting public land do more scouting than any of their peers. Because they have to. And I can honestly say the days that I killed a limit of greenheads on public land make it all worth it. I feel like we all just need to keep from being bitter and pointing fingers at one generation or another generation and understand that we're in the same boat. We all just want to kill some ducks. If someone is willing to spend all night in a boat, they probably deserve the spot if we're honest. Honestly, hunting public land all my life I have never had a problem with other hunters. Then again, no one has ever set up 50 yards away from me. Scouting is definitely worth it. To answer the initial question, yes, you should scout wherever you hunt, whether that's using google maps or asking around and finding out what the ducks are doing.And I'm sorry if this offends anyone or is poorly worded at all. Also sorry I got so long winded.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Everyone on here complaining about "Boom" scouting is lying to themselves. I understand that we all have spots that we feel are "ours". All of us have probly seen spots that no one new about for years suddenly become crowded because of others finding out and talking or maybe even someone you trusted with the spot talking. The fact is it happens and you need to get over it. But, unless you are the kind of guy that hunts one timber hole and has your entire life, then we all have hunted someone else's spots.

Sometimes there is only so much pre-hunt scouting you can do. Lets say you scout an area before the hunt, and come up with a gameplan on how to hunt it, where to sit, etc. But when you hunt it the next day, it turns out that the spot they really wanted to be is where that other group is a few hundred yards away from you.......They kill full limits and you don't hardly fire a shot. Are you goin to learn from that experience and try to be on the x the next day? or are you going to consider it their spot and just watch them murder the birds? Me personally, I'm gonna try to beat them there, If I don't then I will go to another spot, far enough away that we don't interfere with each others hunt. But if I beat them there, then I don't feel bad, they should have got there earlier. However, I will often invite them to join me, circumstances permitting.

When I kill a bunch of birds one day, and there are others around, I expect some of them to try and get that spot, so I get there very early. If I show up an hour before daylight and there are people there, then I move on...

People skybusting, setting up on top of me, blowing a duck call like a kazoo, and many other things really p!sses me off, but people wanting to be in the best spot is not one of them.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting