Using Teal decoys after they are no longer around?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Using Teal decoys after they are no longer around?

Postby mosherd1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:51 am

I just bought some used Teal decoys. Would it be detrimental to use them later in the season simply to make the spread look larger? I know there would be no Teal in the area but I only own a dozen and a half decoys including the Teal. Are the ducks smart enough to know that Teal have already left and avoid a decoy spread that includes those decoys?
mosherd1
hunter

Re: Using Teal decoys after they are no longer around?

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:48 am

If I have teal decoys out during the September teal season, it's for my hunters, not the teal. They decoy just fine to big duck or goose decoys.

But I definitely want teal with my regular season big duck spread, because there's something about the size difference between they and the big duck decoys that adds to the illusion of life and, I believe, helps fool wary big ducks.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 am

Rick is right. I personally believe teal decoys are magic. I had a flock of geese land in a dozen. Ever since, I never leave them at home. Bigger numbers, light to carry in, creates the illusion of movement, and the magic.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I ran them all last season, they definitely move in less wind than bigger decoys and mix it up some. I notice green wings hang around longer than blue's so green wings are what my teal decoys are.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I've found that teal decoys are a key to killing heavily preasured ducks. Towards the end of the season, I may just bring 4-6 teal with the different head positions and leave the calls in the truck. The ducks don't hear anything and don't see a big spread of decoys like most of the other guys are using.
duckman27
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am

TEAL ARE RETARDED. Their that Duck that all the other Ducks pick on. So no I wouldn't put them out, Im kicking posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=201258#myself for buying teal decoys. Ive shot like 15 of them this season and theirs no way in hell they care if they see their friends or not. What kind of teal decoys are they too. If their not GHG Pro-Grades I don't think they would stick out enough.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:TEAL ARE RETARDED. Their that Duck that all the other Ducks pick on. So no I wouldn't put them out, Im kicking posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=201258#myself for buying teal decoys. Ive shot like 15 of them this season and theirs no way in hell they care if they see their friends or not. What kind of teal decoys are they too. If their not GHG Pro-Grades I don't think they would stick out enough.

:huh: It's 5 o'clock somewhere.....
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
WIDrakeKiller wrote:TEAL ARE RETARDED. Their that Duck that all the other Ducks pick on. So no I wouldn't put them out, Im kicking posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=201258#myself for buying teal decoys. Ive shot like 15 of them this season and theirs no way in hell they care if they see their friends or not. What kind of teal decoys are they too. If their not GHG Pro-Grades I don't think they would stick out enough.

:huh: It's 5 o'clock somewhere.....

I'm thinking so :huh:
duckman27
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 pm

duckman27 wrote:I've found that teal decoys are a key to killing heavily preasured ducks. Towards the end of the season, I may just bring 4-6 teal with the different head positions and leave the calls in the truck. The ducks don't hear anything and don't see a big spread of decoys like most of the other guys are using.

I killed 90% of my birds last year using this ^ approach
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting