Retriving down birds?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Retriving down birds?

Postby MikeH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am

Not having a dog to hunt with anymore I am contemplating the ways I can retrive downed birds in the water. I have a small v-hull boat I use on ponds but I cant get it to a lot of the places I would like to hunt that require me to hike in with my gear. I was thinking of maybe getting a cheap inflatable raft and small pump that I could inflated when I get to my spots. Some spots will require walking well over a mile and the water in these holes is shallow around the edges and too deep for waders in the center so if a bird goes down where I cant wade to it what should I do?

Any ideas?
MikeH
hunter

Re: Retriving down birds?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 am

I have never hunted with a dog. If I see that the water is too deep for me to walk out, I simply do not hunt the place. I don't want to risk my life or leave a dead duck. I have seen people use little tiny boats with trolling motors on them so you might want to invest in a layout boat or something similar with a trolling motor. Then make a dolly to push it out there. When I hunt deep rivers, I take my little jon boat and a fish net to get them.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MikeH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I was also thing about getting a float tube that I could put on if need be. I also have a outcast fish cat 9 ft pontoon boat that I could conceal easily with a camo peice of burlap but I still think that hauling it all the way to some of the ponds would be an issue.
Maybe even using a long decoy pole could do the trick.
MikeH
hunter

Postby Winger. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:55 pm

I often have the same problem when I don't take the dog with me, and I'd miss out on a lot of prime spots if I avoided them because I can't wade to the middle. A sturdy, collapsible fishing rod with strong test and a decent sized topwater lure (with barbs crimped flat) works for me when used in conjunction with waders to get me most of the way out there and an 18' decoy retriever for once the bird is close enough. Most folks recommend having a fishing license with you just incase you get checked. If I have any doubt this method will work because of the size of the body of water, however, I just don't hunt it.

I've put a lot of though into the inflatable fishing innertubes and a small pump but I've never tried it, so I can't comment. If you do try it please let us know how it works for you!
Evil prevails when good men fail to act.
Winger.
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:03 pm

I would think a float tube would work pretty well, we pack them into high mountain lakes and they aren't that big of a deal to pack. If you are going into places like what you mention, you shouldn't need many decoys. We usually only have 5 decoys or so. Before I got a dog, I did all kinds of things to retrieve birds in deep water, fishing pole and a long handled extension dip net. It was never very efficient and I think the float tube would also be a great way to hide. along the edge of the water instead of standing on a bank.

I will add, being a dog guy, there is nothing better than a good retriever, we almost never lose a bird anymore and it has opened up a whole new world for us to hunt, but I realize that it's just not feasible for everyone to own a dog.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Use a fishing pole with a large treble hook or a decoy extension pole
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Use a fishing pole with a large treble hook or a decoy extension pole

I'm not quite sure how a treble hook would sit with some game wardens. If there is the slightest bit of a conflict between you and the warden, he could cite you for fishing out of season. We use fishing poles, but have a little twist. First, we use a cut down fairly stiff rod. Casting or spinning, it doesn't make much difference. Use whatever you're comfortable (and accurate) with. Then, take a fairly heavy (3 to 5 oz) bank sinker and drill a hole in it about one third of the way down from the standard eye. Use pretty heavy line and tie a large surgeon's loop. Pass the loop through the hole and back over the top of the standard eye. When you cast the line over the bird, the sinker will sink and tangle in the wings when you retrieve it. Works pretty well.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Retriving down birds?

Postby Luladucks1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Buzz bait!
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Postby MikeH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Use a fishing pole with a large treble hook or a decoy extension pole

I'm not quite sure how a treble hook would sit with some game wardens. If there is the slightest bit of a conflict between you and the warden, he could cite you for fishing out of season. We use fishing poles, but have a little twist. First, we use a cut down fairly stiff rod. Casting or spinning, it doesn't make much difference. Use whatever you're comfortable (and accurate) with. Then, take a fairly heavy (3 to 5 oz) bank sinker and drill a hole in it about one third of the way down from the standard eye. Use pretty heavy line and tie a large surgeon's loop. Pass the loop through the hole and back over the top of the standard eye. When you cast the line over the bird, the sinker will sink and tangle in the wings when you retrieve it. Works pretty well.

Frank

Good Idea I will give it a shot. How short are you cutting it down? I would like to be able to but it in a pack. Sure it would work fine short,just harder to cast.
MikeH
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm

The ones we've made are between 3 and 3 1/2 feet and are pretty stiff. I like a spinning reel, but the guy who showed me this trick uses a bait caster. He's more accurate with his than I am with mine, but I just can't cast a bait casting reel. Either way, the short rod will definitely take some getting used to. I'd start out with a 3oz weight and 30lb test on a 3 1/2 footer and try it out. Make your adjustments from there. I've actually seen some pretty long retrieves made with this thing.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 pm

You could always just work on your back stroke..... I've made my fair share of frosty morning retrieves.. Rather invigorating lol... (granted I live in Texas) :thumbsup:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 am

A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MikeH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:38 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Someone posted this today on DHC
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/4395-my-homemade-canoe

haha that thing is sketchy. I have started laying down the base layer of camo on my 9ft toon, and I am gonna make a retrieval rod.
MikeH
hunter

Postby AWOTIS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 pm

what i use is a pole with a heavy weight and a bobber..
HAVE FUN TAKE A KID WITH YOU
AWOTIS
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting