Mojo-ing woodies

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Mojo-ing woodies

Postby kkelly » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey guys, last season I targeted some land within a 5 minute drive rather than 1.5 hrs. Found out there's nothing but woodies on the small ponds! Good season, but I think I can do better. I am planning on hunting woodies exclusively this year and was wondering if anybody had any woodie hunting advice.

I am need of a new Mojo and I thought rather than buying a mallard Mojo, I should just buy a woodie Mojo.

Your thoughts? Any suggestions? Any adivce?

Good luck shootin this year boys!!
kkelly
hunter

Re: Mojo-ing woodies

Postby Quackhead90 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I hunt a lot of wood ducks on small ponds. I have normally just used a mallard mojo and done just fine. I'm not sure if there would be a difference between the mallard and the woody. I will also say is that ponds that have wood ducks at the start of the season have had mallards once the migration started. Good luck
Quackhead90
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Just be sure you don't over hunt the ponds and you can have good shooting all season...and hopefully some mallards or other ducks will follow.

AS far as setup goes, get a handful of woody decoys and place them in pairs and triples (1 hen to 2 drakes) and get hidden.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 pm

You might find this funny but the ones on here that have used it before wont laugh one bit. I use a mojo dove hunting woodies in the swamps and timber. Works just as well and the duck mojos plus its lighter to carry and much easier. And its way cheaper than the others.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Thru the years we have hunted plenty of wood ducks. We have had good luck with wood duck decoys and a jerk rig. Long before there were ever mojo,s. I would rather have ripples on the water in the little sloughs where we hunt wood ducks than a spinning wing decoy.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby jakuehler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 am

i hunt from a boat most of the time so limiting gear isnt usually a problem for me. I use in early season up to five different mojos. depending on the situation and location. I recently bought a wood duck mojo and love it. the wings are ssmaller similar to a dove mojo the body is about the size of a baby mojo and it has great color. i put it out with 2 baby mojos and can bring in about anything with a well planned spread. but thats my opinion, trial and error.
jakuehler
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting