gettin birds to decoy where they dont want to

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

gettin birds to decoy where they dont want to

Postby renegadeduck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:32 am

I am hunting a spot in the evening where i am about 100yrds from where they usually land i cant get in that spot because of houses. what kinda layout should i do for early season. theres normally pairs that land back there every 5 min for the last hour. i was thinkin 18 dekes a mojo and swimmin decoy. with some good calling set the dekes up spread out wide in pairs and 3s like 10feet inbetween pairs witha mojo on one side and the swimmer on the other
renegadeduck
hunter

Re: gettin birds to decoy where they dont want to

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 am

Sounds like a roost to me.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am

its not a roost cus the birds leave just after shooting light. its just a spot where they go before they roost for one last feeding
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

Id get as close as posslible to where your seeing them and mimmick exactly what your seeing and id only use the mojo if u have a remotoe on it and keep it close to the water so when they are coming in u can turn it on and off to imitate a duck stretching its wings. Id probably just use a jerk cord though. I only use my mojo for catching a birds attention from a distance
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 am

Can you get in to "block" the birds from where they normally land? eg. some type of scarecrow............ pink flamingos. etc.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 am

If they're tending and feeding there and are safe, I dont think any amount of decoys is gonna draw them to you.
Do you kill any where your setup now? if you dont Id find a new spot.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting