Hunting roosts?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting roosts?

Postby mosherd1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 am

I know that hunting roosts should be avoided? I do have a roost that they pile into at night. I would never hunt it at night but am considering doing some pass shooting as they leave the roost for the fields. Should this also be avoided or is it less of an issue because they are leaving the roost after being safe all night? Thanks,
mosherd1
hunter

Re: Hunting roosts?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 am

I usually keep my distance from the roost. I see what you mean. I was safe with hunting just 2 fields down from a farm pond where they roosted. They kept returning until everything froze completely.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:44 am

I don't know the situation completely but maybe try watching em one morning and follow em to see which fields they are hittin... Try to gain access and do a little field hunting.. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Jump » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm

You will probably be fine shooting the roost in the morning as they are leaving it. Just make sure you do it when its cloudy or they will leave before shooting light. But I have shot several roosts and the keep coming in just make sure to do it in the morning when they are leaving rather than at night when they are coming in.
Jump
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 am

I wouldn't pass shoot them close to the roost where the noise will put the other birds off the roost. You do it wrong and you will know pretty quick when they quit using the spot to roost.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby qpm05a » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:11 pm

DONT DO IT!!!!
"Those who hammer their guns into plow shares, will plow for those who do not" T. Jefferson

64,999,997 gun owners killed no one yesterday
qpm05a
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting