Flagging ducks????

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Flagging ducks????

Postby cut_un » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:24 pm

Noticing last year most everytime I was breaking down my floating blind, peeing out the back of the boat, messing with the deks, I'd have ducks buzzing the deks. Movement!!!!! Wondering if anyone has tried (flagging)using white rag or anything to get the attention of ducks off in the distance. Been thinking it may work if done at the right time, I know it works great for geese???????????
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:39 pm

How often are you hunting inside your spread for ducks like you are for geese? If you were hunting from a blind overlooking the spread I don't think it would work. It would probably draw more attention to your blind than anything. Another thing is that a duck puts off a different kind of motion than a goose. A duck makes a fast back peddaling movement that is hard to imitate with a flag. A goose waves its wings much slower and therefore it can be realisticly imitated with a flag. If you were hunting from a layout blind or a pit where you were in the middle of a duck spread, a small white flag might work to put some motion in the spread. Kind of like ducks stretching their wings. Good idea just hard to replicate.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:03 pm

I do undestand everthing you mentioned, and agree....But I may just give it a try to see what happens..... what have I go to loose, a big fat greenhead :oops: :oops: and a cussing from the frount of the boat :help:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:23 pm

never used a flag for puddlers. i have used a black flag for divers. some of them are suckers for a flag, especially scoters and scaup. keep us informed, unless it works, then guard that secret with your life :cool:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

actually it would work how often do you see ducks on the water stetching their wings i do alot. i would look into a mallard wing waver. i panted one black for my diver spread as i use huge spreads and it just seems to draw them to the decoy line to follow it right to me instead of winging around the spread entirely
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:17 pm

I would give it a try...here is why. Many times you will see geese and ducks resting and feeding in the same areas, many times they are really close together. We know that geese and ducks are attracked to movement so if geese are common where you hunt ducks throw a couple of floater out and try it out. We flag at ducks when field hunting for both geese and ducks at the same time. Just dont use the flag when they get in close, thus drawing attention to your position.
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:00 am

When I was a youngester I started hunting with my great grandfather. He would carry a white hanky in his bibs, called it the magic hanky. He would pull it out wave it around and ducks would appear like magic. I carry a magic hanky :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 pm

while on the Atlantic for scoter and eider (when hunting from either the tender or from the Classic) we wave a solid black flag with outstanding results, especially on clear days
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ducksbuck » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Wwe are going to try Wing Wavers this year both for geese, and mallards. I use robos now, but don't like the steady motion when geese are in the area. It seems like when we have one mallard set in, any others in sight will lock in and follow. If only I could replicate that motion. Maybe a kite? (jackkite, or others).
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:36 am

Lets see. Breaking down the blind, taking a leak, messing with the decoys and ducks start buzzing the blind. Sounds like Murphys law to me my friend. :mrgreen:
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:30 pm

:withstupid: Try a mojo with a remot,I think it would be more effective.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby portahunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am

I've used a robo with a remote before and my main problem was when I'd turn the wings off half the time the white side would be the side that was facing up.
portahunter
hunter

Postby Camo Man » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:00 pm

I use a flag sometimes. I also use a spinner or 2 or 5. Also, I use fliers, duck butts, confidence decoys, jerk cord and etc. I get ducks, but who can tell whether one thing works or another. I know of no scientific study as to whether or not the flags work. Most hunters that use flags for puddlers use a black flag. My personal flag is black and white in a diagonal pattern. No special reason why other than I decided that when I see ducks playing on the water I not only usually see the dark duck, but also flashes of white wings being stretched.
Camo Man
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:09 pm

I guess ,like everything else, some folks swear by it ,some not :eek:
Like I said, I just notice that times we are moving around in our boat blindas we take it down, puddle ducks will buzz the deks, or be picking deks up only to have some cupped up and pitching in. I just think it would/will not hurt....see some off in a distance, hit um with a white flag, to get their eyes to focus on the deks. Then let the deks and your calling to close the deal. It's worth a try :mrgreen:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting