multi-species spread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

multi-species spread

Postby CSAKing » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 pm

so we have about 2 dozen mallards, 1.5 dozen assorted greenwing teal, pintails, and woodies, and 4 goose floaters. When we put this out should we try and group like species together? should the species be extremely separate or can they kind of be beside each other? just some questions for you guys.
CSAKing
hunter

Re: multi-species spread

Postby mudflatthunter93 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Keep your species close together but not too close. You want your spread to look like a natural spread so just scout, scout, scout and find out what the birds are doing on your water.
2012-2013 season

bw-teal- 17
gw-teal- 22
mallards- 25
shoveler- 6
wood duck- 30
gadwall- 4
pintail-1
mudflatthunter93
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 am

"find out what birds are doing on your water" is the best advice you could get for decoy placement.

What we find is it really depends on species where they will tend to sit. We see redheads, wigeons, bluebills, and buffleheads all sitting together, loosely grouped amongst coots more out into the main channel of the river, often drifting down stream with the current staying in the line of floating debris from moss breaking loose. We have some very fine almost sand like snails here that they feed on a lot from what we have found in their crops. I always check out the birds crops regularly to have an idea what the birds are keying in on. The mallards we see in our area are always and I mean always tucked up against the bank, within just a few feet of the bank, so that's where we put our mallard decoys. I'll put my divers and wigeons out at 15-20 yards tops, but I want them visible for a long distance, when birds come in to land, they are always within 20 yards and in a back eddy when we shoot. Our set up of decoys is always up stream, the birds will almost always land just below or just on the edge of the decoys, then swim in to their own species if we allow it. Goldeneye love canada geese and will often land with them before swimming out on their own. Canada goose singles and pairs will also key in on goldeneye and land with them.

On lakes, which I rarely hunt I'll have the decoys as much as 30 yards from the shoreline, very few of them tucked against the bank and again all loosely grouped, with some over lap of a few species here and there. I'll always have a well defined shooting hole and a group of stoppers to put the birds directly in front of us.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Sometimes I mix them, sometimes I separate them.. Havent found any difference yet. I usually have a few pintails in my spread, and early in the year I have teal and woodies in my spread. I try to keep the teal and woodies off to the side.. but quite often I mix the pintails right in with the mallards. For gadwall, widgeon, or shoveler decoys I would just mix them right in with mallards.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Find out what they do on water. GREAT ADVICE! Something I have seen works for me, the white and black on pintails and shovlers is seen from a long ways away. I put like 6 of them close together to resemble a recently landed flock on the outside of my spread. Ducks seem to pick up on that because of the bright colors. Where I hunt, it's normal to shoot 5 or 6 species in a hunt. I mix almost everything together. Puddlers together and divers on the outside but together.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting