Snow geese and ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Snow geese and ducks

Postby yellowdog87 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:47 pm

We have a lease in north west miss. We had it last year and saw tons of snows and speck, and not so many ducks. I kno last year was not that great of a year for us on ducks so we want to kill some snows and specks this year. The field is either beans or rice and the water is ankle to knee deep. So what I'm asking is some of u guys that hunt areas like this do u mix snow, specks and ducks together, and with what kind of succes. I'm thinking of trying around 100 or so snows, 20-30 specks and depending on duck numbers between 8-12 dozen mallards, pintails, and shovlers. I'm from ky where we hunt mostly sloughs and flooded corn so these bean and rice field setups are a little different for me. Thanks for the help.
yellowdog87
hunter

Re: Snow geese and ducks

Postby oscar67213 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:46 pm

im no expert but i would keep ducks dekes seperated and group the snow /specs it works for us in the past
oscar67213
hunter

Postby Marsh chicken » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 am

Ducks don't typically mix with snows. Your best bet is to put out a duck spread and throw in some specks off to the side. Or ducks mostly on one side of your pit, and specks on the other. You don't need a ton of specks 6-12. If your gonna try snows, then you need to hunt them exclusively. And you better have access to a lot of ground. They will work a field over in one to two days, then move on to the next field. Good luck
Marsh chicken
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:43 am

Marsh chicken wrote:Ducks don't typically mix with snows.

:huh: Maybe where you are from.........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, rule #1 you can decoy ducks to ANY goose decoy but it is way tougher to decoy a goose to a duck decoy. Snows like any other goose are easier to work over water especially if you are where they want to be. 2-4 dz will be fine unless you have a huge area. Look around there are some links to making shells into floaters that is a real economical/effective way about doing this, throw in a few specks and you are golden. If you really feel the need you can throw out duck decoys but lez be honest here it isnt necessary.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

duckdozer wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, rule #1 you can decoy ducks to ANY goose decoy but it is way tougher to decoy a goose to a duck decoy. Snows like any other goose are easier to work over water especially if you are where they want to be. 2-4 dz will be fine unless you have a huge area. Look around there are some links to making shells into floaters that is a real economical/effective way about doing this, throw in a few specks and you are golden. If you really feel the need you can throw out duck decoys but lez be honest here it isnt necessary.

Where I hunt, I find the exact opposite. Ducks wont have anything to do with your spread if there are geese there. Take away the goose decoys and you can land ducks in your spread. Last year I had a flock of 8 giant canadas land in my teal decoys on opening day.

Around here, when ducks and geese hang together, the geese are always chasing the ducks around and harassing them. So I think the locals here know to stay away from the geese.
BBK
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Click on pic to play.......This is a couple years old and taken during the early goose season. Not snows but I have had the same thing happen. Image

I had a couple come down over the blind and just about rub their feet on it. Probably had 1000 duck around me by the time shooting hours were done. The blotted out the sunset when I got out of the blind.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 pm

In fields they will mix all day long, but this topic wasnt posted in the field section.. I assumed from what he said, they hunt flooded fields. Flooded fields are a bit different than straight up field hunting. Flooded fields are more like marsh hunting, ducks are landing there to eat, drink, and mingle. In picked fields, they are landing to eat then they typically go to water to drink and mingle. Ducks dont like to mingle with geese, but they will feed with geese. You might have good luck hunting migrators with a goose spread in your flooded fields if the birds stop to eat, but you might find that this time of year they will land away from the geese.
BBK
hunter

Postby yellowdog87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for the input, we will be done there three different weeks so I will try a little of everything and see how it works out. I kno here in ky we have no problem decoying ducks into Canada spreads, in fact all the pits I've seen have probably 90% goose decoys. I just didn't kno how we'll they worked into snow geese. But the info was helpful and I will post some results come winter.
yellowdog87
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 am

I've hunted a similar flooded field, and whenever snow geese sit on the field for a day or so the ducks avoid it for a while. From my limited experience i've never seen ducks mixing with snow geese here in arkansas. snows usually eat on dry fields and ducks have plenty of flooded fields to eat on. i've hardly ever seen ducks working dry fields with snows. that's not to say it doesn't happen though.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 am

I use snow decoys more and more every fall to hunt mallards, pins, and wigeon. We also have plenty of times in the spring we can't shoot into a flock of snows due to ducks working the decoys as well.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting