Thick Lilies?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Thick Lilies?

Postby blacknwhite71 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 pm

I hunt flooded timber and ponds on my lease when the river is up but the rest of the year when it's low I can't get into any of the ponds because there isn't enough water. Well we cut a road to nice lake/slew that's about a half mile long but it's completely covered with lilies so thick that there is only two holes about 20 foot wide. I'm thinking that it would be a great place to hunt when the waters down and we can't get boats in there yet. I would like to open the holes up some and was wondering if there is a good spray or pellets y'all would recommend and where to get it.
blacknwhite71
hunter

Re: Thick Lilies?

Postby noweil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 am

We had a blind in an area full uf lily pads and we used to cut an opening in them by hand. We used hand sickles and cut them off below the waterline. We were told we had to remove all the cut pads and lotus pods or it could be considered baiting. It is a lot of work but it helps kill ducks. Once it gets cold enough the rest will die off.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Thick Lilies?

Postby blacknwhite71 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:13 pm

We went back today and got it opened a little thanks
blacknwhite71
hunter

Re: Thick Lilies?

Postby BBK » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Canoe with a trolling motor. Drive around in circles and chop em up.
BBK
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting