Duck ID ????

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Duck ID ????

Postby mp » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:48 am

Hunt down in South LA. KIlled a bird this past weekend. Need help identifing. It was either a mottled or black duck. It was a hen with the colors of a mallard, maybe a little darker. The bill was orangish with black specks and the wings had no speculum or white bands. The wing had the same colors as the rest of the bird. What is this?? Thanks
mp
Newb

Postby quackkiller » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:45 am

I'm not 100% sure but I'm gonna go with a mottled duck. Especially since you are in LA. That is a prime place for mottles, they mainly winter in that area around the gulf coast area. Go to www.duckcentral.com and then go to waterfowl ID. Hope this helps you out! :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby BigBirds » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:33 pm

If the color on the wind is green with a white stripe it is a mottle, if it is blueish purple with no whit it is a black duck
BigBirds
hunter

Postby marsh1buster » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:05 pm

Mottled ducks have a solid color bill usually greenish in color. If it had black specks on it's bill it was not a mottled. Black ducks usually look more like mallard hens but a little darker, like your descripion said, that would be my guess.
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby pbramble » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:29 pm

released hen mallards often have orange/yellow bills with dark splotches on them, was it tagged or toe-clipped?
pbramble
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:38 pm

I agree with quackkiller. Mostly because of where you shot it. Who knows. I shot a black bellied whistling duck in NW Arkansas last Friday so anything is possible.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Duck ID

Postby Drake1 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:55 pm

I would have to say it may have been a hen mallard with a variation in color. Possibly a juvenile hen-resulting in the darker coloration. Black ducks do have a speculum on the wing but it's not as bright as that of a hen mallard. Blacks also often have yellowisn to an olive color bill and legs. This is the most popular puddler in my area on the saly marsh next to the gadwall. Hope i helped....Good hunting.........
Recently started hunting Divers and Seaducks, it's great!
Drake1
Newb

Postby Mallyard » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:47 am

I shot a banded hen gadwall this year, and she had lots of blotches on her bill, probably from being released like the others said.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting