Using Sleeper/Resters During Evening Hunt

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Using Sleeper/Resters During Evening Hunt

Postby cackiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Just curious if anyone who targets ducks in the evening/afternoon specifically puts out more resters and sleepers on those hunts as opposed to feeders?
cackiller
hunter

Re: Using Sleeper/Resters During Evening Hunt

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 am

I have never used a sleeper or rester, and I dont see why you would need one. I do sometimes turn the heads on some all the way back like they are resting, but that is just purely for kicks... I dont think it actually matters. Evening hunts are usually targeting birds that are returning to water/roosts after feeding, these flocks are typically not resting but actively drinking/washing themselves. Mid-day hunting would be where I would see resters/sleepers being usefull, when birds are just loafing around.
BBK
hunter

Postby cackiller » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Okay that makes sense. Thanks for the help!!
cackiller
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Last year was the first time I had used sleepers. I used them the entire day on my hunts. I thought they worked great. We had teal and redheads land next to my 4 mallard sleepers and go to sleep. We were full on redheads and wanted more meat so we passed on the teal. This happeded mid day. My favorite and the best results I have seen while using them is to put them on the edge of the ice in the mornings. That was by far the best results I've ever seen using them. I think they add a lot to spreads. Ducks tend to raft up and sleep where I hunt so I try my best to immitate that.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cackiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am

I know one of my buddies has used them that same way. I'm gonna try mixing some FB Sleeper and Sleeper floaters into my spread of opening day on the local refuge in a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.
cackiller
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:07 am

I had a flock of pintail land by me around 0830 the other day while teal hunting. They all went to sleep! I've seen birds sleep all hours of the day but these guys landed and went straight to bed. They must have been flying all night. No stretching, drinking, no making noise, nothing land and slept. I look at my buddy and was like ***! It was funny to see!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby cackiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:26 pm

:biggrin: I've had that happen a lot with geese but not very often with ducks it would be cool to see for sure.
cackiller
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

We have a perm blind on a high bank of the river, with about 15' of dirt between the blind and the drop-off to the water. A couple years ago during early goose season we had a pair of woodies land 2' from the blind at first light. They walked around for a while then laid down next to the door of the blind and went to sleep. The dog smelled them and went over to the corner of the blind and pushed the door open with his nose, he looked at the ducks and they looked back at him and jumped about 5 feet straight up in the air and took off at mach 2. I bet those ducks had nightmares for weeks.
BBK
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I'll use feeders, sleepers and resters all times of the day. Mind you, still use the regular decoys. If you go and watch ducks...they are always doing these things...not all, but if there is 15 to 20 birds or so..you will see them doing these. I love low head decoys..mixed in with some higher headed decoys...just makes it all the more realistic.
See...the thing is...it can be different weather conditions, locations, time of the day or whatnot...ducks or geese will decoy to anything along with sub-par calling....and the next time...you have to have the most realistic spread out as possible...and be an accomplished caller.
There is no or not one set hard rule to follow in all situations.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting