Question about a decoy spread...please help!!!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Question about a decoy spread...please help!!!

Postby fallinfowlcrew » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:27 pm

ok so i used to hunt a pond and have always had great luck....well a new neighborhood has showed up next to the pond and basically taken over.... but only about 50 or 100 yds away from the pond is a canal ditch, setting up in it seems pointless cuz the birds would never see my decoy spread down in the canal ditch wen they are flying over the pond....but i have gotten a mojo for this season....do you guys think it would be possible for me to put the mojo up on the bank like its maple leafing into the rest of my decoys and make the ducks skip the pond and come see whats going on in the ditch?.....or will i just be wasting my time?
fallinfowlcrew
hunter

Re: Question about a decoy spread...please help!!!

Postby fallinfowlcrew » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:28 pm

k i think i finally got it in the right thread lol
fallinfowlcrew
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 pm

It would be worth a shot I think. You could try putting that mojo on an extension pole too if it seems like they still aren't seeing your spread. Just be flexible and if one thing ain't worken try something else. That's what I would do anyways.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:55 pm

I would be VERY aggressive with the feed call and see how that works.
sooner737
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 pm

How close are the houses to the pond? I wouldn't give up on the pond if everything is a legal distance away from me.... If not then I would say give the ditch a shot.. It's always worth a shot or two
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby fallinfowlcrew » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:53 pm

the neighborhood purchased the pond so now i dont have control over it....but the ditch is still legal....thanx for the advice guys...i will see wat i can do with it....
fallinfowlcrew
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 am

In your case, I would say 2-3 mojos set up at different hieghts and offset from each other, with a few full bodies on the top of the ditch might work well for you. How far below the top of the ditch is the waterline? I ask because flying ducks can see alot of the surrounding area. Do you know if the ducks actually use the ditch?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby fallinfowlcrew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 am

i have jumped them out of the ditch almost every time i walk down there.... but the water is prolly at least five feet from the top of the ditch....i would just sit against the bank in the weeds... it would be the perfect ambush... i just need to get them to see that ducks are going into the ditch and then see ducks in the ditch.... im gunna try the mojo and alot of feed calls haha
fallinfowlcrew
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 am

Sounds like a plan. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby hannibal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Put full bodies on top (mallards and honkers.......just a few) and then get 2 mojos and have at them. That will do the trick!
hannibal
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting