HELP!! Timing Problem

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

HELP!! Timing Problem

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 pm

We have one field with a pit to hunt from on the land we can access near the Cache River in Arkansas. We usually can't hunt during the week (I'm in college now, but my brother and I had school and my dad had work) so there isn't an incredible amount of pressure. Consistently over the last 3 years the same thing has happened and it has drastically limited our hunting. Ducks only use our field to roost... We hunt afternoons and see thousands pouring in just after shooting light but don't kill any. People kill ducks all around but we come up empty handed. Usually we can get a shot at one good group if we hunt the morning right at shooting light. I'm fine with ducks roosting there.... I just want them to be there during the day as well. It is a field that alternates planting rice and soybeans every year. I'm hoping we can make this year different. Any advice would be appreciated and I would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Re: HELP!! Timing Problem

Postby nebquackhunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Is this a dry field or a flooded field? If it is dry, its not a roost.
nebquackhunter
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:54 am

flooded. And the ducks are only there before and after shooting time.
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 am

you may be right though. it may not actually be a roost. Either way they only use the field when it's dark during early to mid season
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:56 am

Here in South Louisiana pressured ducks come to the flooded ag fields to feed at night, not to "roost". Not that it matters much if your field isn't one they traffic over during legal shooting hours. Something you might want to try is hunting in the middle of the day to catch those hungry for a snack and thinking the pressure will be off then.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 am

If you run them off before shooting time does anything trickle back in after legal shooting time?
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 am

I've killed a few in the first 10 to 15 minutes of shooting light. Other than that it's not any good. I may try the noon hunting thing this year. Every time I've hunted the afternoon there hasn't been anything, but people in the fields everywhere else are shooting. I figured pressure would bring them back to our field but it never does. It's just frustrating you know
dmadden7070
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting