Hauling small layout with larger boat?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hauling small layout with larger boat?

Postby gfrost » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 pm

I have recently built two smaller Gator boats and am considering hauling them closer to the area that I want to hunt with my large aluminum jet boat. Couple questions; Does anyone do this? How far away should the big boat be away and should it be camoed some how? Keep in mind that we are talking about a 23' full cabin aluminum boat. :huh:
gfrost
Newb

Re: Hauling small layout with larger boat?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

If I was towing it I would have just enough line out so the the layout is just behind where the wake from the big boat splits into 2. If you are taking 2 then just hook the second one 10 feet behind the first. Make sure both bats are hooked to something strong enough though. As far as what to do when you get to your spot depends. If it is open water like a big bay or ocean shoreline I would just park the big boat 1/4 mile or so from where you are hunting and you should be fine. If it is more of a marshy environment I would throw some camo net of some sort on it and still hunt as far from it as possible.
I've never done this so these are just thaughts on how I would do it if I was to do it. If something doesn't work right change it.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting