???

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

???

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 am

Bag Limit
Duck
6; may include no more than 4 mallards
(only 2 of which may be a hen), 3 wood
ducks, 2 redheads, 2 pintail, 1 black
duck, 4 scaup and 1 canvasback

For Just
Merganser 5, only 2 may be hooded

Does this mean I can kill 6 ducks and then on top of that I can kill 5 mergansers???
WildDuckman
hunter

Re: ???

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 pm

WildDuckman wrote:Bag Limit
Duck
6; may include no more than 4 mallards
(only 2 of which may be a hen), 3 wood
ducks, 2 redheads, 2 pintail, 1 black
duck, 4 scaup and 1 canvasback

For Just
Merganser 5, only 2 may be hooded

Does this mean I can kill 6 ducks and then on top of that I can kill 5 mergansers???

Sounds like Iowa's rules. Yup, mergies are not ducks and do not count towards your duck limit. You can shoot 6 ducks AND 5 mergies, AND 15 coots in Iowa.

Bag Limits
Ducks: Daily limit is 6, including no more than 4 mallards (of which
no more than 2 may be female), 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 4 scaup, 2
pintail, 1 black duck, and 1 canvasback.
Mergansers: Daily limit is 5, including no more than 2 hooded mergansers.
Coots: Daily limit is 15.
BBK
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm

15 coots as well!!!! Sounds like the same state!!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Same limit here in MI with the exception of only
One mallard hen and only 1 pintail.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Yes, merganser and duck limits are separate. Same as stated above in Texas.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Yes, merganser and duck limits are separate. Same as stated above in Texas.

Be careful, it's not universal. Some years back, that was the case in NY, too. But for some reason, they decided to change the rules and include mergansers in the general bag. Check the regs in the state you'll be hunting.

I will say this, though. I've read where mergansers are not biologically considered ducks.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Yes, merganser and duck limits are separate. Same as stated above in Texas.

Be careful, it's not universal. Some years back, that was the case in NY, too. But for some reason, they decided to change the rules and include mergansers in the general bag. Check the regs in the state you'll be hunting.

I will say this, though. I've read where mergansers are not biologically considered ducks.

Frank

I know that I was just stating that the limits listed were the same way it is in Texas

Bag and Possession Limits for Ducks
SEPTEMBER TEAL-ONLY DAILY BAG LIMIT: 4 in the aggregate (Blue-winged, Green-winged, and Cinammon Teal).

DUCK DAILY BAG LIMIT:The daily bag limit for ducks is six, which may include no more than five mallards (only two of which may be hens); three wood ducks; two redheads; two pintail; one canvasback; and one "dusky" duck (mottled duck, Mexican like duck, black duck and their hybrids). For all other species not listed, the bag limit shall be six. The possession limit for all species listed in this section shall be twice the daily bag limit.

MERGANSER DAILY BAG LIMIT: Five in the aggregate, to include no more than 2 hooded mergansers.

COOT DAILY BAG LIMIT: 15 birds
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:I know that I was just stating that the limits listed were the same way it is in Texas

I was pretty sure YOU did! My point was that the casual reader should not take it as universal. And from my experience (for whatever it's worth) is that someone will read this thread and think he can shoot separate limits of ducks and mergansers where it might not be allowed.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting