Species ID

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Species ID

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 am

I found this duck at the launch this morning after my hunt. I have seen these twice on the water and once in the air flying alone and never knew what it was, but I knew it wasn't something that I wanted. Looks like someone shot it and decided it wasn't something they wanted to be caught with so I snapped a picture to see what it is. It must have been from opening day because the eyes seem to be shriveled away, but the dried part seems to look orangish red?

Eric Haynes
hunter

Re: Species ID

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 am

Wood duck hen
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 am

This has teeth like a merganser and looks nothing like any hen woodie Ive ever shot. Wing and underside, yes. But the bill is almost triangular like a snow goose, feet are deep green/gray, bill is a light gray, eyes are almost diamond shaped. I thought it was a woodie when I saw it on the ground from a distance, but when I looked closer it just looked wierd. Maybe the odd coloring from the feet and bill was from decay? Or maybe just a younger bird because its quite a bit smaller than any woodie ive ever shot, and i shoot quite a few every year, but not many hens.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 am

To me, it still looks like a young hen wood duck. It is possible that you shot a young hen mandarin as well. I'm looking at the blue tips of the feathers after the speculum on the wing. Woodies appear like this. I've yet to shoot a mandarin but I know they are around. These two guesses would be my best bet. You can see those teeth just a little in the first pic.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:51 am

Hen woodie for sure
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Species ID

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 am

I'm agreeing with these fellas. Wood duck hen.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby TROB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:05 am

Hen woodie was my first thought when i saw the pic. :hammer:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am

deffinitly a coot for sure!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 am

TROB wrote:Hen woodie was my first thought when i saw the pic. :hammer:

Me too!!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby DukDukGoose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Everything about it says woodie hen (expecially the yellow around the eyes) but the bill has me saying pile-billed grebe. Look woodiesque though!
DukDukGoose
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 pm

with the way the top corners of the bill extend into the forehead I'd say it is a first year wood duck drake, a late hatch poult. Whoever left it must not have known it is one of the best eating ducks.
woodduck31
hunter

Species ID

Postby chris_k » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Not trying to be a d*ck, but arent you the guy that doesnt shoot mallards because they are not good enough? And you've killed thousands of mallards? And you cant tell a woodie hen? I'm confused ...
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:38 am

woodduck31 wrote:with the way the top corners of the bill extend into the forehead I'd say it is a first year wood duck drake, a late hatch poult. Whoever left it must not have known it is one of the best eating ducks.

i think i have to agree.

here is a pic of a wood duck in eclipse but i think the one in the op is very young.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

chris_k wrote:Not trying to be a d*ck, but arent you the guy that doesnt shoot mallards because they are not good enough? And you've killed thousands of mallards? And you cant tell a woodie hen? I'm confused ...

Looks like you get confused pretty easy than. Never said I didn't shoot any Mallards, I said there are plenty of other ducks I'd rather shoot. I also said they are one of the easiest ducks to kill, not much to argue there. The reason I was confused to this this duck was that in hand, it doesn't look like any hen woodie I have ever taken. Not sure why you aren't grasping this concept, I guess I am sure, you get confused easy. I've never once shot a Wood duck that was the same size of a GWT, I've never shot one without a hood, I've never shot one with a short gray stubby bill, I've never shot one with gray legs and feet with odd webbing. Hope I didn't confuse you.

I'll give the gray beak and legs to maybe decomposing, but the size, hood and bill? I guess it was just extremely young, and again I've never shot a Wood duck that looked like that one or else I wouldn't I have came on a public forum asking what it was. My bad.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am

eric, I think it was a reasonable question to ask. I haven't very often run into late hatch birds during hunting season. Once I can remember on a youth hunt getting into a bunch of late hatch gadwall that still had spiked feathers on their tails and they were very small. They were far and away the youngest ducks I've ever seen during season in 45 years of duck hunting and so good to eat.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 am

woodduck31 wrote:with the way the top corners of the bill extend into the forehead I'd say it is a first year wood duck drake, a late hatch poult. Whoever left it must not have known it is one of the best eating ducks.

very late... possibly 3rd nest attemp..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Re: Re: Species ID

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 am

possumfoot wrote:

very late... possibly 3rd nest attemp..

Feel dumb for even having to ask on here, but a lot was taking me from wood duck. I thought it was maybe something else just due to bill and size alone. Was tiny, ive shot bigger gwt. Oh well, learned something new.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting