Dog in a Beaver Pond

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Dog in a Beaver Pond

Postby colebyrob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 pm

I have a few beaver ponds that i hunt woodies in and there are some sticks in them. Is this a threat to my Black Lab? I have talked to a few people and some said they have had to save dogs that were hung on the sticks and others said that hunting in a beaver pond is just another day in a duck dogs life.What do you guys think about it? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Re: Dog in a Beaver Pond

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm

The majority of the first 8 years of my hunting career were spent over a small beaver pond that was full of wood. My dog never had a problem with any of it, she'd swim right through the smaller stuff and climb up and over anything larger.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 am

my biggest concern is the dog runnnin full sprint into a stick under the water. the farm had a dog one time chase a cat in to the woods came back with a stick stuck in his shoulder bout 2 in deep. no personal experience though
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby erp10 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:43 am

renegadeduck wrote:my biggest concern is the dog runnnin full sprint into a stick under the water. the farm had a dog one time chase a cat in to the woods came back with a stick stuck in his shoulder bout 2 in deep. no personal experience though

Thats why I wear a vest on my dog.
erp10
hunter

Postby grey duck » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 am

If I am really concerned, I will take my dog's collar off. This helps with the snags.
grey duck
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting