Past hunt video

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Past hunt video

Postby singleshooter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 am

This is a little video I did of myself on a Thanksgiving Day hunt a couple years ago. Let me make it clear that I am not, nor will I ever claim to be a great duck caller, but how I do it works for me. I have been pursuing waterfowl for the better part of 40 years and have been calling ducks with my mouth from a very early age. I have been harshly criticized for my calling and hunting methods and really do not understand why. Rarely do I go home empty handed, but I do not shoot large numbers of waterfowl. I am a barebones kind of waterfowler as you will see in the video. Also this is not a video with large numbers of ducks and geese being filmed and shot, it is just me, one camera, a few decoys, my kayak, and a single shot lever action 12 gauge. I am very open to constructive criticism and welcome it, but if you feel the need to be rude or obnoxious please keep in mind that no 2 ducks sound alike, and there is no set way to call them. I call very little and try my hardest to not spoil hunting for others. I have spent the majority of my life in duck marshes in northern Michigan and rarely have I heard ducks being as vocal as a lot of the hunters I hear on those same waters. I have full respect for other hunters and the methods they use, providing they are legal, and will never disrespect them. I can only hope for the same. With all that being said, I hope some of you enjoy this little video.
http://youtu.be/HoWb4eHsgTs
singleshooter
hunter

Re: Past hunt video

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 am

Better than I can do with a call. Surprised at the volume you get.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby Old River Rat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Enjoyed your video. You know everyone has their on way of hunting. I don't see anything different in the way you do things. As far as your calling it sounds alot better tha some callers I have heard with their high dollar duck calls. Most people that want talk trash about someone doing things their way need to clean out from under their on door steps. The bottom line is what ever works for you. Seems to me that you are having great results on the way you choose to hunt. I know I have gone many times and came home empty handed. Enjoy yourself,be safe and may God BLESS. Thanks for letting me share.
Old River Rat
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

i liked watcing this quite a bit. its unique,not just a video about shootin limits and bands. do you even have decoys out or arre you just pass shooting ?
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm

odd
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Past hunt video

Postby Duck_Popper » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:31 am

It takes a lot to post a video here, need to have thick skin.

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. It shows that you have a love for waterfowl hunting that goes deeper than just the kill. I respect your way of hunting and your calling is awesome. I paused the video and told my gf. "look at this guy" she said it was neat!

Good job would love to see more videos.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby singleshooter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 am

quack wackr wrote: do you even have decoys out or arre you just pass shooting ?

I have about a dozen decoys set in 3 sets of 4 decoys. One set of 4 on each side of me and one set in front of me. Rarely do I use more than a dozen and quite often I only use 4 - 6. Thanks for all the comments and respect, much appreciated. Happy hunting to all and I hope to have a new video up and posted in the next couple weeks.
singleshooter
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am

:thumbsup:
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 am

Why in the world would you be "harshly criticized" for what you do? A bare bones approach is best for most things..
I don't know why you would want to use a single shot, but maybe it's your grandads, maybe it's light and you have to walk far, maybe it's nostalgic....I'd just get frustrated with the 6 pack of mallards comes down and I can only drop one at best.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby singleshooter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

Slack Tide wrote:I don't know why you would want to use a single shot, but maybe it's your grandads, maybe it's light and you have to walk far, maybe it's nostalgic....I'd just get frustrated with the 6 pack of mallards comes down and I can only drop one at best.

Thanks for the kind words. I prefer to use a single shot for the simple fact that when I pull the trigger I know that I usually do not have a second chance so I must make it count. In my 35 years of waterfowling, plus 7 years in the blind with my father and grandfather prior to my legal hunting age, I have used and seen many hunters use pumps and autos and have never really seen it to be a great advantage. Sure there are those instances that you speak of when multiples come in, but I am ok with that. And shooting a single shot does not necessarily mean a second shot is not possible. Actually with mallards, if allowed to come in to 10 yards or so for the first shot, I can often get a second shot in by the time they reach the 30 - 35 yard range on retreat. Geese are fairly easy to get a second shot. I have been shooting that same gun since I was 5 years old, I am now almost 48, and it has basically become an extension of my arm, so quick loading is second nature. Last year I folded doubles on geese 4 times, and got a double on mallards once. Plus, I honestly don't care how many birds I kill. My grandfather taught me at a very early age that it is not the kill that makes the hunt, it is the hunt that makes the kill, and I follow that belief to this very day and have passed it on to my 3 sons as well. He also taught me that it is not about all the gear you have to use, it is about how you use the gear you have. Thanks again and happy hunting to you.
singleshooter
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I like it 'cause it's "steeped in ol' timey-ness...shootin' ducks always sauves the troubled soul"

A little play on Oh Brother Where Art Thou..couldn't resist.

How about a tutorial on mouth calling, single shooter?
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Past hunt video

Postby Duck_Popper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm

singleshooter wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:I don't know why you would want to use a single shot, but maybe it's your grandads, maybe it's light and you have to walk far, maybe it's nostalgic....I'd just get frustrated with the 6 pack of mallards comes down and I can only drop one at best.

Thanks for the kind words. I prefer to use a single shot for the simple fact that when I pull the trigger I know that I usually do not have a second chance so I must make it count. In my 35 years of waterfowling, plus 7 years in the blind with my father and grandfather prior to my legal hunting age, I have used and seen many hunters use pumps and autos and have never really seen it to be a great advantage. Sure there are those instances that you speak of when multiples come in, but I am ok with that. And shooting a single shot does not necessarily mean a second shot is not possible. Actually with mallards, if allowed to come in to 10 yards or so for the first shot, I can often get a second shot in by the time they reach the 30 - 35 yard range on retreat. Geese are fairly easy to get a second shot. I have been shooting that same gun since I was 5 years old, I am now almost 48, and it has basically become an extension of my arm, so quick loading is second nature. Last year I folded doubles on geese 4 times, and got a double on mallards once. Plus, I honestly don't care how many birds I kill. My grandfather taught me at a very early age that it is not the kill that makes the hunt, it is the hunt that makes the kill, and I follow that belief to this very day and have passed it on to my 3 sons as well. He also taught me that it is not about all the gear you have to use, it is about how you use the gear you have. Thanks again and happy hunting to you.

This is a great post right here.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Duckslayer2008 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 am

Nice video! Hunters like you are what waterfowling is all about. Good to see some people still hunt more traditionally. The mouth calling was pretty sweet too!
Duckslayer2008
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 am

The best callers I have ever hunted with used only their mouth. That goes for swan, duck and goose. Just don't tell that to the TV shows.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby singleshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am

STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:

I can do that. I will post a video on Thursday showing how I go about it. Don't really know if it will help anyone else be able to do it, but heck, worth a shot. I don't actually know how I do it, just been something I have been able to do as long as I can remember.
singleshooter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 pm

that was an awesome video and and i going to predict your shot to kill ratio is alot higher than the average duck hunter.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby singleshooter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am

singleshooter wrote:
STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:

I can do that. I will post a video on Thursday showing how I go about it. Don't really know if it will help anyone else be able to do it, but heck, worth a shot. I don't actually know how I do it, just been something I have been able to do as long as I can remember.

Here it is, per your request. Have fun with it.
http://youtu.be/PdP8QrzKQnA
singleshooter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Hats off to you sir, Simply amazing! Great, now I am going to be driving to work every morning attempting to sound half that good. People are going to think i should be on the slow bus...
lbhansford
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

You know what? That may be the best waterfowl video I've ever seen.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby DEDuck34 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am

Duck_Popper wrote:
singleshooter wrote:

This is a great post right here.

I couldn't agree more...Sad part is now a days that's all that everyone cares about is how many birds did you kill with how many shots, or how many bands you've killed, bands don't make you a better hunter, just luck of the draw...I would take quality over quantity any day of the week.
DEDuck34
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Is that why you post your totals? :wink:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby DEDuck34 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Yea a little contradictory on my part...but in my defense that was a few years ago...trust me I did used to care about numbers...but nowadays it's more about the hunt
DEDuck34
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting