scouting problems/advise...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

scouting problems/advise...

Postby MJO21 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 pm

I hunt the Missouri River. Problem is that because of my job I can not get out and do any scouting on the water. There are only a couple places where I can drive to and see the water.

1--Anyone have this problem??? What did you do to remedy the situation?
2--Are there certain things that you look for on maps that are more likely to produce?

Any advise...and sorry to say a career change is not an option. :biggrin:

thanks,
Mike
MJO21
hunter

Re: scouting problems/advise...

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 pm

The only way that i really see getting around this problem is to sack up and spend a weekend on the river. Yes, i know what you're thinking..."waste a day of hunting?!" 1 days worth of scouting can open up a GOLDMINE of hunts.

Basically just take a day off from the blind and spend it in the car/boat/on foot
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby d_money » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 am

Here is what I do when I can't scout. I basically spend a day scouting but hunting also. I take a back pack with a few deaks and my other stuff then hunt from there. I'll set up in a spot that I think will be ok then if it isn't I pick up my deaks and move to where I think the birds are going. A lot of times u can see where the birds want to be from your first spot. I usually can limit doing this because when I find the ducks they just keep coming in. Then I'll usually set up there the next day I hunt. It's like run and gun hunting. Not a ton of stuff to mess with just u and the land u hunt. Trying to find the ducks.
d_money
hunter

Postby addicted2ducks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:33 am

d_money wrote:Here is what I do when I can't scout. I basically spend a day scouting but hunting also. I take a back pack with a few deaks and my other stuff then hunt from there. I'll set up in a spot that I think will be ok then if it isn't I pick up my deaks and move to where I think the birds are going. A lot of times u can see where the birds want to be from your first spot. I usually can limit doing this because when I find the ducks they just keep coming in. Then I'll usually set up there the next day I hunt. It's like run and gun hunting. Not a ton of stuff to mess with just u and the land u hunt. Trying to find the ducks.

we usually try and do this, but don't get upset on the first day's hunt if we don't kill anything; especially if we are hunting a new place. However, when do you feel is the best time of the day to scout? Early morning flight? mid-late morning to see where they are feeding/resting, or the afternoons to find where they are roosting?
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks guys. How long do you feel that x spot is still the x? If I scout one day is there a good chance that will still be the X next time?
MJO21
hunter

Postby Small Block » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Set back off of the river maybe a 1/4 mile or so with a pair of binoculars and a thermos of coffee at daylite. Watch the river valley and see what the ducks are doing. This should have been done before season. This will tell ya a bunch.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Usually when u are hunting scouting at the same time if u find where the ducks are landing around 7-8am then usually that's the exact spot they will land the next day and several after that. Unless u shoot it everyday. I shoot my good spot about 1-2 times a week. But I have several other good spots I hunt in the mean time.
d_money
hunter

Postby Jangle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I do alot of scouting with google earth. I usually hunt public land so I will get one map that shows the boundaries and then I will look on google earth with is set so that it shows th geographic features such as sloughs. I have found several spots like this an then I will go to them on foot and figure out where to hunt in the slough or see weather or not it has water. Have found several new spots thi year. This makes it so they your not just wandering around in the woods you can go strait to a spot and check it
Jangle
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Jangle wrote:I do alot of scouting with google earth. I usually hunt public land so I will get one map that shows the boundaries and then I will look on google earth with is set so that it shows th geographic features such as sloughs. I have found several spots like this an then I will go to them on foot and figure out where to hunt in the slough or see weather or not it has water. Have found several new spots thi year. This makes it so they your not just wandering around in the woods you can go strait to a spot and check it

i do the same exact thing but google maps need to be updated for my area cause there is very little water anywhere.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

MJO21 wrote:Thanks guys. How long do you feel that x spot is still the x? If I scout one day is there a good chance that will still be the X next time?

Hunted saturday morning on the "x" and ducks droped into it like a ton of rocks. Hunted same spot sunday and the ducks wanted nothing to do with it.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting