Do you have a mount?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Do you have a mount?

Postby sdhunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm

I know there's a taxidermy forum, but I just had to ask this question here.

Of the puddler duck hunters, do you have a mount? If so, what kind of duck?

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a wood or redhead mounted (pending I get one!).

Thanks.
sdhunter
Newb

Re: Do you have a mount?

Postby zeus50 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 am

currently just a lesser scaup and wood duck. i have a green head on the way, taxi said its almost done, and he has a bunch more in the freezer, snow goose, green-heads girl friend, black duck drake
zeus50
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 pm

I have a Drake Mallard on the wall. Already paid for a mount this year just got to kill a duck. Looking for a Woodie, Spoonbill, or Can
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Do you have a mount?

Postby rebelmdb69 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 pm

I have a set of spoonies a mallard drake a goldeneye drake gwt drake and who knows what will happen this year
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Pin tail, green head, red head, and just took a mottled duck.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby NVduck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 am

I have a pair of mallards greenhead has a band. a canada goose, pintail pair, wood duck drake, widgeon drake. Ive done most of them myself but the mallards were done before i started doing taxidermy.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:27 am

I have a banded greanhead that I shot a couple years ago. The taxidermist did an ok job, but for the price I think it should have been a little better.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby mikebenghp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Let's see...My first duck, a drake woodie in perfect full plumage mounted next to a hen on a piece of driftwood from the river on which they were harvested. Bufflehead and shoveler. Greenhead. Drake GWT in near full plumage(we don't see them often up here) with a hen GWT(my brothers first duck, just picked it up from the taxi on Sunday), both in flight side by side.

Once I bag em- Drake Canvasback, drake Pintail or plumed drake shoveler will go straight from truck bed to taxi man. Again, these are all rare here. Indiana=not a flyway. Lol.

The taxidermist we use is absolutey phenomenal. American Natural Resources is the store in Griffith, Indiana. They are pricey but totally worth it. If you are ever in the area I recommend taking a stroll through the store, its a trip! My favorite is either the leopard/jaguar(big black cat, im no expert) leaping or the raccoons. One mount is two coons sitting on a log drinking beers kinda falling over like we've all seen our buddies do and the other is four coons around a table smoking and playing cards.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby sdhunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm a novice hunter, but would like to get a wood duck mounted. Just have to shoot one! Probably not until next year now.
sdhunter
Newb

Postby B.Hud » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 pm

first mallard i ever killed is on the wall :thumbsup:
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 am

B.Hud wrote:first mallard i ever killed is on the wall :thumbsup:

Me to, but i had to shoot a pin raised mallard to mount. If you tell someone where i live that your gonna shoot mallards they probably would laugh at you.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby sewergoon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 am

I have a drake and hen eider a snow,Ross and blue a drake mallard,woodduck,gw teal and a widgeon
sewergoon
hunter

Postby bsbritton78 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:07 am

I have a drake and hen mallard, drake woodie, 2 Bull canvasbacks, a bufflehead, a gadwall, a greenwing teal and a drake black duck mounted to date. Still missing my sprig and storm wigeon. Fingers crossed for this fall even though my girlfiend says that I should stop. HAHAHA! I think they go great with my 2 whitetails, 2 turkeys, caribou, ptarmigan, spruce grouse and blue Walleye. :yes:
bsbritton78
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:29 am

I've got a Widgeon and a Bluewing Teal mounted. I try to mount at least 1 bird a season, that is if i get one nice enough. I don't limit it to 1...but i do plan to start a diver dead mount this season.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:39 pm

woodduck, green wing, blue wing, can, red head, hoody ( :yes: ), cackeler, speck, luesistic pintail, mallardXpintail, mallardXblack duck, some odd ball park duckXmallard, a banded black duck, also had 2 stud bull sprigs and a golden eye getting done now..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 pm

At last count, I had over 35 bird mounts. Of course, that's not an issue, since I do my own taxidermy as a hobby! :grooving: :lol3: .

When I started mounting birds, I wanted a collection of at least one of every species. I pretty much accomplished that, but space started to be a problem. I gave a bunch away and just plain trashed some others. Now, I concentrate on specific birds that have a special story behind them.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby jmitch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

I only have a very nice full plumage drake woody. There are several more that I would like to have tho..
jmitch
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am

I have 5 wigeons from pepperhead to storm in the entry way of our house, a pair of goldeneye cupped and coming out of the corner, a redhead, canvasback, bufflehead, bluewinged teal, a hoodie, goldeneye hen, timberdoodle, black duck, sage grouse, spruce grouse, ruffed grouse, bobwhite, pheasant, wood duck, bobcat, cinnamon phase black bear, 6 turkey tail fans, one flying turkey and a pintail. I used to have a taxidermy business before moving to Idaho 21 years ago, so still do a little of it for myself. The only ones I don't remember any special stories with 3 of the wigeons that I did just to represent all the head color phases of wigeons. I do remember the storm wigeon and euro american cross.

there used to be six wigeons, one was a dusting casualty and the storm wasn't added to the flight in the entry way at the time of the photo.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Got a banded drake mallard on the wall and a black duck and a drake and hen woodie in the freezer

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Currently, I have a Blue wing teal, Hen Widgon, Hen gadwal, and a drake Mallerd . I Have a hooded Merganser in the freeser waiting to go the the taxidermist, I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how. :fingerhead:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting