Managing a beaver swamp

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Managing a beaver swamp

Postby pilothunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi guys, I have been hunting this little swamp near my cabin for years. Lots of woodies occasional mallards and geese. What i would like to start doing is putting some work into it to try and keep the population and increase the frequency of ducks coming to the pond. Its a fairly large beaver pond that is connected to a swamp/marsh.

I have been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out what food to plant but the problem is most of the places ive seen rice or the like planted its on a plot of land that gets flooded. This place has no changes in water level, its very muddy and not really able to wade in it. do you plant food on the banks? really would like some info on this.

Also planning on building some wood duck boxes.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Good hunting!
pilothunter
Newb

Re: Managing a beaver swamp

Postby Hunt2live92 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Clemson leveler through the dam so that you can raise and lower the water. Then you can either plant something or leave it alone to grow what comes naturally, the ducks will eat that up too.
Hunt2live92
hunter

Re: Managing a beaver swamp

Postby Timbergreen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 am

Hey if your looking to plant foods like Japanese millet, smartweed, milo, corn, buckwheat and rice for ducks, in swamps or natural habitats you need to check out SwampWreck.com. These guys kill a lot of ducks every year by planting their beaver swamps, cypress breaks, ponds, river bottoms and low grounds. They have figured out how to control water and grow duck food to turn natural habitats into impoundments. A lot of people don't have the ability to construct a 5-10 acre impoundment with flooded corn every year. But almost every duck hunter has a pond or beaver swamp they have access to. Manipulating natural habitats for ducks is a cheaper alternative than building an impoundment and anyone can do it. I went to Swampwreck.com over the spring and found out how to manage my beaver swamp and this summer planted it all in Japanese millet and Milo. I followed their general idea and i couldn't be more pleased. My crop is knee high and I have high hopes for this season!
Timbergreen
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting