Timber overhead cover?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Timber overhead cover?

Postby ODBoutdoors » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 am

Anybody ever consider adding brush/sticks above you in the trees in order to add more cover in the timber? Most of the hunting in my area is salt/fresh marsh and I just came across a decent timber spot but I feel exposed just standing next to a tree. Would increased overhead cover really make a difference? Or am I just thinking too much lol. Thanks guy happy hunting
ishootducks
ODBoutdoors
hunter

Re: Timber overhead cover?

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 am

Anything that hides movement or 'out of place' appearances from overhead prying eyes helps. By all means, if you have the availability to hide from above, do it. It certainly won't hurt and would most probably help. It's practically impossible to eliminate movement while hunting and the impulse to gaze upward, so camo, both on the face and overhead should help contribute to a more successful hunt.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Just hug the tree keeping it between you and the incoming birds and be still & you should be fine. Adding overhead "cover" could bite you when birds start scattering and you cannot take an overhead shot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 am

I recommend stayin as close to a tree as possible, over head cover shouldn't matter if your right near a tree and you have seeks out for them to look at
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby ccduck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Just stay on the shady side if the tree. If the birds are flying on that side then look down and use only your eye balls to look until they clear. Be still and keep to the tree. No need for adding more overhead stuff to get in the way.
ccduck
hunter

Postby ODBoutdoors » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Sounds good I can see how it would definately get in the way. Just gonna have to stay still. Thanks :beer:
ishootducks
ODBoutdoors
hunter

Postby birchcreek_bushwacker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:59 pm

face paint and good camo, I have been using bottomland camo since the early 90s and have had no issues with ducks being spooked or seeing me.... btw I rarely hunt from a blind, normally sit by a tree or some brush etc....
birchcreek_bushwacker
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting