Kayak jump hunt upstream

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Kayak jump hunt upstream

Postby Kysprtsmn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

I have been jump hunting wood duck out of my kayak which isn't too bad going with the current. I have a hand paddle that does the job, reduces my visibility to the ducks, and lets me keep one hand on my gun. It's not so good for going back up stream. Using my kayak paddle is required for that and creates much more motion to give me away. Anyone out there have any tactics figured out for heading back up stream? (And not going upstream isn't an option, gotta get back to my truck so may as well hunt while I'm at it.)
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Kayak jump hunt upstream

Postby lamboicon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Don't they have a kayak that has a paddles under it. You could get one of them.

C.lambo
lamboicon
hunter

Re: Kayak jump hunt upstream

Postby NVduck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

electric trolling motor
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm

They do have a kayak that has a pedal drive. It's about a $2000 boat brand new. Also, I'm always sliding my kayak over downed trees and branches which are often hidden by the black water in the creeks here. That drive system would probably get in the way or damaged. But it is pretty cool what it does.

I could do a trolling motor but I couldn't have it in the water running when I shoot and my forward motion would have to have stopped. If I keep it man powered I can just focus on shooting when they jump.

I was wondering if maybe they will come back to that spot after they jump and it would be worth settin in and waiting or I don't know...?
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby NVduck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 am

I do alot of jump shooting, mostly mallards, on the river here I have only maybe one time in 500 seen them come back.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 am

Have you tried two hand paddles? You wont be able to hold your gun with one hand, but it would probably be less noticable motion than the regular paddle. If you connect the two paddles with a string connected to the kayak somehow, you'd be able to drop the paddles where ever and grab your gun without worrying about losing the paddles down stream. You could also try one hand paddle and one of those Neoprene paddle gloves on your shooting hand, just make a slit between your forefinger and your middle finger so you can fit your finger into the finger guard and pull the trigger.
TJP
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 am

I had given some thought to another hand paddle. The paddles float but I hadn't tied it to the boat because I wanted the ability to switch sides. But I like that idea with two paddles. It may make for a quicker transition to shooting. Thanks for the suggestion.
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby FlatLiner13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

If you don't have an actual kayak paddle then try one first. Tie a rope to the middle of it and then drop it and grab your gun. Paddling a kayak with an actual kayak paddle will increase your speed heading back up current. If you must us only one while hunting bring one hand paddle use it drifting then switch paddles up stream.
FlatLiner13
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:25 pm

I do have a kayak paddle. And yesterday I was heading back up stream when 3 woodies jumped and I was able to pull the paddle in close, get the gun up and get one. Fortunately he jumped up and over the creek which helped. So that method does work, just have to anticipate birds more. You don't have the luxury of spotting them far off and using current to help you slip in on them.

Anyways, I guess what I'm learning is that it is what it is. I can use a second hand paddle which may quicken the transition from paddle to gun but I know I'm gonna sacrifice some speed and maneuverability. The full size kayak paddle is great for going back upstream but I'm sacrificing stealth.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me think through this one! Any more suggestions appreciated.
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 am

I once used my shotgun as a paddle when we hit a box net at full throttle and lost the motor and almost lost the transom.

Just saying, you wouldn't have to switch between the paddle and the gun :lol3:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:05 pm

You may be on to something! Shotguns with paddles incorporated into the stock.
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby TJP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Kysprtsmn wrote:You may be on to something! Shotguns with paddles incorporated into the stock.

Sounds dangerous... You better trust your safety...
TJP
hunter

Postby flight control » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:11 pm

TJP wrote:
Kysprtsmn wrote:You may be on to something! Shotguns with paddles incorporated into the stock.

Sounds dangerous... You better trust your safety...

It's all just fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then its a sport.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby headwatermike » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 am

Have you heard of setting up shuttle? Even leaving a bike can work fine, depending on logistics of your float.
headwatermike
hunter

Kayak jump hunt upstream

Postby BKScripto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 pm

When I float my local river I am always with a friend. We leave his truck down stream and I truck us up stream. Of course, the river I float would be hell to paddle back upstream.

Why not get a double paddle and put it in the kayak and pull it out when going upstream? Use the single paddle to direct the kayak when floating downstream.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 pm

That's how I do it. Hand paddle a good piece of the creek down stream then pull out the typical kayak paddle for the trip back. I have killed a few while paddling back upstream. Also limiting out headed down stream always works too! I originally posted the thread in search of tactics. The hand paddle is largely impractical heading back upstream whereas the kayak paddle is pretty flashy often jumping the ducks out of range. I was really hoping someone out there had come across this and beaten it already. Having said all that, the few I have killed headed upstream were taken just by being quick. The paddle tends to jump em early but sometimes they are back in the flooded brush and roots and can't see you until you are on em. Obviously this prevents them from being seen until they jump but if you are quick you can get your gun up for a shot. I haven't come across any other method.
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby Jake S » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm

what's a hand paddel? I aways have jump shoot with a normal kayak paddel, anything more sthealthy would be great.
Jake S
hunter

Postby Kysprtsmn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm

When I mention the hand paddle I'm talking about a paddle made by Backwater Paddle Co. It's a wooden paddle with about a foot long handle to it. It was only about $25 with shipping (I think) so I thought why not? I painted it flat black and went out and tried out maneuvering the kayak. It's not always the easiest way to maneuver but its not flashy (you can pretty much be still other than your one forearm or wrist) and you can keep one hand on your gun for a quick transition to shooting. I don't use it all the time. If the current is against you or if the current is stong you may not have sufficient power to maneuver. Works well on a lazy creek though. Like I said, only $25 or there about so I thought I'd give it a try and it has worked out so far.
Kysprtsmn
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Use a small drift sock. This will slow down yur speed downstream. Another idea is to ad a rudder to yur kayak. Steering is done with yur feet, freeing yur hands.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a SBEII Max 5, Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting