To decoy or not?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

To decoy or not?

Postby mk3vento97 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Hunting woodies in the river, I have woodie decoys but its a long walk to the spot,
Is it worth while to try to decoy woodies in?
From what I hear is woodies are oblivouse to dekes.
mk3vento97
hunter

Re: To decoy or not?

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:49 pm

never hrts to take 6 or so out and set them up. They will decoy when you get into some thick stuff
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

To decoy or not?

Postby AltonStanford » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 pm

I find that hunting a long stretch of water that everything looks similar on, having a half dozen decoys gives them a reason to land where you are. When hunting woodies there may not necessarily be an "X" so giving them more incentive to land near you may save you the frustration of them settling down just down the river. And while creeping wood ducks is possible its better reserved for level 12 ninjas.
AltonStanford
hunter

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Why not use them if you got them?? If they are oblivious to them what did you buy them for? Like the guy said above, throw 6 or so out there.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 am

AltonStanford wrote:I find that hunting a long stretch of water that everything looks similar on, having a half dozen decoys gives them a reason to land where you are. When hunting woodies there may not necessarily be an "X" so giving them more incentive to land near you may save you the frustration of them settling down just down the river. And while creeping wood ducks is possible its better reserved for level 12 ninjas.

This
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting