I know nothing help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

I know nothing help

Postby Flyguy427 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 am

I have gotten a wild hair up my you know where and have decided to look into waterfowl hunting. I have no friends who hunt well until I learn I guess. I live in central Indiana off the Wabash river and need to know what do I need to get started? I have a 12 ft Jon boat and just camo painted the same as the river and now what type of decoy do I need or does it matter and do you need a certain amount to put in the water? Any help on anything and everything is appreciated :help:
Flyguy427
hunter

Re: I know nothing help

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 am

First thing is you need a little but of a budget. Are you looking to go cheap as possible on gear or get the good stuff. Is the water wadeable where your planning on hunting? If so you'll want a good pair of waders. As far as decoy #s do a little scouting. Get on the river in your boat and look for ducks. If you see little groups of 4-12 ducks you want a little spread to mimic that. If there are big rafts of over 50 ducks then your going to want a few doz to pull ducks to you. Scouting is the most important part of duck hunting by far. If there is vegetation on the river or you can get on shore to hunt then you will be able to hide just fine. If not you will probably need a boat blind. As for calling it isn't even necessary if you learn how to find ducks and be on the "X" by scouting and hide well with a decent decoy spread with movement. But it will always help to be able to call. I started with and still use a Zink Powerhen 2. Easy to learn and sounds well in my opinion. Killed a lot of ducks using it. Also I would try going to the state forums on here and ask the local guys for some help. Don't ask for a place to go or they will tear you a new one. Tell them where your planning on hunting and what you have for gear and find out some tricks for that area. Good luck. If you have more questions ask. I asked hundreds if questions when u started and I still ask questions. Good luck. And :welcome:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 am

Ive been doing this for 15 years....... And some days it seems like i know nothing lol :hammer: :hammer:

As for really knowing nothing i would recommend going with someone who has been doing it for awhile or go with a guide. Waterfowl hunting is one of the most rewarding forms of hunting, but at the same time it can be very demanding. If you don't like being wet, cold, or muddy your not going to like waterfowl hunting. As for gear i would not worry about using a boat right now and go to some walk in areas during the week. Also some cheapo depo decoys are best for just starting out until you really know you like it. Get a duck call that comes with a dvd on how to use it and really pay attention on how to use it. Yesterday i was out and some guys were calling at ducks working my spread, every time they hail called (which was most of the time) the birds flared. Also since your new, let the birds land in your decoys and just water swat time, unless illegal in your area. Reasons are: 1) more ducks in the freezer 2) less shells used 3) no sky busting. If you learn how to decoy them, then you will always look like you know what you are doing.

remember to have fun, it is supposed to be fun. also it WILL become an obsession. its frustrating, its back breaking, it will make you laugh, make you cry, and make you smile all at the same time. You will see yourself grow from season to season. you will run into idiots that don't know how to hunt, you will deal with your fair share of extreme weather. birds will come and birds will go, but in the end its all about getting out there and hunting.

Enjoy! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Flyguy427 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks for the good food for thought. Well looks like about any other type of hunting so far lots of scouting. I just recently moved to this spot across the street from the river and the boat dock is less than 1 mile so I will get a dozen decoys after I figure out which type of waterfowl birds I have in the area and so far seems to be geese for sure but wow the types of ducks are a bit confusing at first so just going to glass the water to start figuring this out. Thanks for the good help so far fellas and happy hunting :thumbsup:
Flyguy427
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Just buy mallard decoys. Every type of waterfowl will decoy to mallards. Goose decoys will be your friend but can be very expensive and aren't necessary for duck hunting. You should be able to pick up a doz mallard flambeaus for around $30.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting