New Shotgun

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

New Shotgun

Postby Grayston » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm

I have shot a Remington 870 wingmaster during duck season since I was 14. It is a fantastic gun, but can only take 2 3/4 in shells. I am in the market for a semi auto and am seriously considering the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2. What are your thoughts? Is there something better out there? More bang for my buck :wink: ?
Death to Drakes
Grayston
Newb

New Shotgun

Postby hankyorke » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Grayston wrote:....seriously considering the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2... Is there something better out there?

There is nothin wrong with 2.75" shells, but if you want to sling more steel (this does NOT extend killing range) then NO there is nothing better than a SBEII IMO. I used to have one but sold it for more than I paid. Bought an M1 as I never shot 3.5" shells and love it. Wingmaster is my back up and love to shoot it too
hankyorke
hunter

Re: New Shotgun

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Grayston wrote:I have shot a Remington 870 wingmaster during duck season since I was 14. It is a fantastic gun, but can only take 2 3/4 in shells. I am in the market for a semi auto and am seriously considering the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2. What are your thoughts? Is there something better out there? More bang for my buck :wink: ?

Forget the semi and get a Nova or Super Nova. Three bangs for your buck and tough as nails.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 am

If you're looking to spend good money, I would first buy a either a Beretta Urika 2 or Extrema and if one of those didn'd work out, I would buy a Benelli M2.I own a Beretta Urika 2 and I absolutely love it.Aside from my great grandfathers Model 50 winchester that went with my house when it burned down, my Urika 2 is the easiest shouldering, sweetest shooting auto loader that I have ever shot.I have killed ducks, geese, grouse, quial and all other kinds of small game with it and it went strong through some pretty bad rain and snow storms in the last year that I have had it without ANY hiccups what so ever.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Grayston » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 am

hankyorke wrote:
Grayston wrote:....seriously considering the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2... Is there something better out there?

There is nothin wrong with 2.75" shells, but if you want to sling more steel (this does NOT extend killing range) then NO there is nothing better than a SBEII IMO. I used to have one but sold it for more than I paid. Bought an M1 as I never shot 3.5" shells and love it. Wingmaster is my back up and love to shoot it too

Nothing wrong with shorter shells, but the gun wont feed properly with old/less than perfect shells. Is there a noticeable difference in the way your M1 shoots vs your old SBEII? I believe they feature the same mechanics.
Death to Drakes
Grayston
Newb

Postby Grayston » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 am

FowlOffspring wrote:If you're looking to spend good money, I would first buy a either a Beretta Urika 2 or Extrema and if one of those didn'd work out, I would buy a Benelli M2.

I shot an extrema for an evening hunt this last weekend. I like the gun overall, but the trigger pull felt a bit sticky. Do you experience that with your Beretta?
Death to Drakes
Grayston
Newb

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 am

Have you considered getting a barrel with a 3" chamber for your current gun?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Have you considered getting a barrel with a 3" chamber for your current gun?

I didnt think you could do that with any gun but especially not the old wingmasters.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Have you considered getting a barrel with a 3" chamber for your current gun?

Won't work unless the receiver is a magnum capable of handling 3" ammo...and if it was a mag chances are the barrel would have a 3" chamber.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

apexhunter wrote:

Won't work unless the receiver is a magnum capable of handling 3" ammo...and if it was a mag chances are the barrel would have a 3" chamber.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

New Shotgun

Postby hankyorke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Grayston wrote:
hankyorke wrote:

Nothing wrong with shorter shells, but the gun wont feed properly with old/less than perfect shells. Is there a noticeable difference in the way your M1 shoots vs your old SBEII? I believe they feature the same mechanics.

Correct. There was no noticeable difference between the two. BTW the transition from Remington to Benelli was seamless, very similar fit. Good luck in your search.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Grayston wrote:
FowlOffspring wrote:If you're looking to spend good money, I would first buy a either a Beretta Urika 2 or Extrema and if one of those didn'd work out, I would buy a Benelli M2.

I shot an extrema for an evening hunt this last weekend. I like the gun overall, but the trigger pull felt a bit sticky. Do you experience that with your Beretta?

I can't tell you why the trigger on that gun would be sticky.The trigger on my gun is so smooth and so it the safety.I like my gun way more that all of the benellis.I don't know what comes with them but when I bought my gun, i got 5 chokes and I thought that was pretty cool.I actually got the gun without KickOff (I think thats what its called) and its still pretty easy on the recoil.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:18 am

Im a browning and mossberg guy myself
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby elkslayer916 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 pm

go with an extrema 391 or 400 with ko softest shooting scattergun on the market hands down.
elkslayer916
Newb

Postby Cdphotos82 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 am

I just got a brand new Benelli Vinci and absolutely love it. I didnt feel the need for a "Super" Vinci cause i never need to shoot anything over 3". Went on a goose hunt the other day and did just fine with 3" BB shells. Plus it was 200-300 dollars cheaper than the "SUPER"..
Cdphotos82
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 am

I have a 3 1/2 870. Shot it for many years. Never once fired a 3 1/2 inch through it. When I bought my new auto this year I never considered a 3 1/2 inch.

Way too many 3 inch shotgun shell makers out there with the same loads as a 3 1/2 inch.

Good luck with your choice. Some great guns out there, just depends on how much your willing to spend.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:13 am

I have 2 wingmasters. One being the standard wingmaster (older) the other a magnum. The ejection ports and bolts are the same. The older one functions just as well as the magnum with a 3" barrel on it. The best way to know for sure would be to call remington.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Berreta unico a400 extreme it shoots 2.75", 3', and 3.5". I bought one last week. It's the wood grain with the blued barrel and polished alum receiver. A beautiful gun. IMO it's better than my sbe2, it shoots smoother and has 30" barrel which I like better.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Smith » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Dakotashooter2, that's the way I recall it also. My 870 is a magnum; a friend had a 2 3/4 inch gun. We compared the receivers and couldn't find a difference other than the word "Magnum" stamped into mine. He put my barrel on his gun and if worked fine. If anyone has found a significant difference I'd be interested to know what it is.
Smith
hunter

Postby BlackDogNigel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Pick a good shotgun that's pretty in your hand at a price you are comfortable. The 3.5" shells are good for giving you a bruised shoulder during goose hunts but that's about it.

Growing up I was humbled by my father and his old Ithica SxS 20 with 2-3/4" shells; two triggers to boot. What I'd give to get him back in a duck blind.....

I've shot a Stoeger 2000 for several years and just switched to a Mossberg 935 to get the top safety. For all you fancy pants, they kill just as many ducks as any other shotgun and I don't worry about actually hunting with them. All that matters is you like the gun in your hands.
BlackDogNigel
Newb

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 pm

BlackDogNigel wrote:Pick a good shotgun that's pretty in your hand at a price you are comfortable. The 3.5" shells are good for giving you a bruised shoulder during goose hunts but that's about it.

Growing up I was humbled by my father and his old Ithica SxS 20 with 2-3/4" shells; two triggers to boot. What I'd give to get him back in a duck blind.....

I've shot a Stoeger 2000 for several years and just switched to a Mossberg 935 to get the top safety. For all you fancy pants, they kill just as many ducks as any other shotgun and I don't worry about actually hunting with them. All that matters is you like the gun in your hands.

Back then he probably shot lead! I agree that 2.75" shells are great if you could shoot lead, but these days with steel which is light weight and has no knock down power you need 3 or 3.5" to kill birds at distances more than 25-30yds.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby shooter2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

the new stoeger m3000 is a hell of a gun for the price. its essentially a benelli with a stoeger logo slapped on it for half the price. it uses the same inertia system. got mine when it came out around september and through dove, deer, duck, and goose so far this year havent had a single problem. also its a sinch to clean and has benelli's excellent customer support. (especially being in maryland)
shooter2
hunter

Postby Blindedheart212 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 am

I'm with him, but I think autos are a luxury. I use a nova.
Blindedheart212
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

go with whatever u like best its all personal prefrence an they will all go bang and kill a duck as good as tha next gun
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:13 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
BlackDogNigel wrote:Pick a good shotgun that's pretty in your hand at a price you are comfortable. The 3.5" shells are good for giving you a bruised shoulder during goose hunts but that's about it.

Back then he probably shot lead! I agree that 2.75" shells are great if you could shoot lead, but these days with steel which is light weight and has no knock down power you need 3 or 3.5" to kill birds at distances more than 25-30yds.

So one of your posts says to buy an extreme because you've had it a week. (and it has yet to be "tested") then you say that you "need" 3 or 3.5" shells to kill birds past 30 yards? I'd suggest you spend more time at the range shooting. I use 3" shells for everything, including big honkers. I can/have consistently shot ducks under 40 yards with 2.75" shells....Just saying.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting