New Shotgun

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: New Shotgun

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Just an update. After some checking on the Remington site It does not recommend using a barrel with a 3" chamber on guns with a serial number ending with a V.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: New Shotgun

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:26 pm

dukhntr wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
BlackDogNigel wrote:Pick a good shotgun that's pretty in your hand at a price you are comfortable. The 3.5" shells are good for giving you a bruised shoulder during goose hunts but that's about it.

Growing up I was humbled by my father and his old Ithica SxS 20 with 2-3/4" shells; two triggers to boot. What I'd give to get him back in a duck blind.....

I've shot a Stoeger 2000 for several years and just switched to a Mossberg 935 to get the top safety. For all you fancy pants, they kill just as many ducks as any other shotgun and I don't worry about actually hunting with them. All that matters is you like the gun in your hands.

Back then he probably shot lead! I agree that 2.75" shells are great if you could shoot lead, but these days with steel which is light weight and has no knock down power you need 3 or 3.5" to kill birds at distances more than 25-30yds.

So one of your posts says to buy an extreme because you've had it a week. (and it has yet to be "tested") then you say that you "need" 3 or 3.5" shells to kill birds past 30 yards? I'd suggest you spend more time at the range shooting. I use 3" shells for everything, including big honkers. I can/have consistently shot ducks under 40 yards with 2.75" shells....Just saying.

I bet you get a lot of cripples too. I shoot an xf choke, my gun patterns out to 80yds in a 40" circle. I don't shoot that far b/c I don't want cripples. I only use xf full choke for everything I use a shotgun for and have no problems hitting anything. I also put 2 cases of shells in that gun in that time between patterning and shooting clays, duck, dove and squirrel. I was talking about how steel has no knock down power. I've shot ducks before, watched em fly 100yds or more and drop out of the sky dead. Comparing steel to lead is similar to comparing 9mm to a .40
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting