Duck and goose Spread?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Duck and goose Spread?

Postby teal12 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Goose season opens Thanksgiving Day and a buddy and i are going our that morning. We have been seeing huge flocks of ducks as in groups of fifty to seventy five on his lake and groups of about Thirty geese. Both the ducks and geese seem to land and loaf in the same general area. Together we have about sixty mallard and teal decoys and Fifteen floating goose, two dozen shells and eight full body goose decoys. We planned to set up a mixed spread by lining the shells and full bodies along the bank and having the geese floaters in the middle and two groups of mallard and teal mix decoy spreads off each outside corner of the goose floaters. Making the farthest shot about thirty yards on the ducks and twenty five to thirty on the geese. Does this sound like a good set up or should we change our plans?
teal12
hunter

Re: Duck and goose Spread?

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 am

If possible have the full bodies in 5 inches or less of water close to the bank with the shells on the bank and put the floaters by the fulls where it a little deeper and/or too deep for the fulls, make it look like they are headed to the bank it will also be a huge confidence boost to ducks
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice i mostly have feeder full bodies and one sentry will this still work?
teal12
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Yea I have mostly feeders as well. I think that feeders are the best in all decoys even floating ducks. It helps to have some sleeper shells later in the year or if the geese are heavily pressured. Also alot of people will say make groups into a C or U shape. Remember that almost everyone does this and the birds that are coming down have seen it the entire way down. I've had better luck putting a few landing holes throughout a blob of a spread. Best advice I can give is to keep it different from the rest, it works great for me. Where are you hunting? I would love to see big groups like that! The best I've seen on ducks so far was 30-40 and thats just teal. I've seen a few groups of gadwalls and one group of mallards all around 20 birds.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Okay thanks for all the help. I am around Kansas City Missouri. this is the first year we have seen numbers this high, I am hoping they stick around a while. I will be sure to post how we do.
teal12
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Good luck
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby teal12 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 pm

We had a good morning. Me and my buddy took his cousin who had never been hunting out and he got was able to bag his first duck (black duck). My biggest issue was leaving my extra full coyote choke in from last weekend. I was still able to get a goose and my first wood duck. overall we bagged a black duck wood duck shouvler teal and a goose. to say the least we had a lot of misses and a lot of good laughs. Each of us got something and had a good time. the birds were really decoying good for us which made for a great fair weather experience for a first timer.
teal12
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting