Ice question on puddles

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Ice question on puddles

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Here in MA we can't hunt on Sundays so by the time I can hunt monday, more than likely my honey hole will be skimmed over. I am wonder how I should hunt this. Should I break the skim ice and throw a load of dekes in it or is there something else I should do. Also if I do this, what tool should I use to break up the ice? A rock rake? Just seeing what other people have done.Thanks
Joser06
hunter

Re: Ice question on puddles

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Joser, if it's thin enough you can wade around if possible and break the ice up. A canoe paddle works well too, especially for pushing larger pieces out of the way. Break it up and throw the dekes out. If ice is prevalent in most of the local areas, the ducks will likey move on. From what I've seen you're having a pretty good season, keep it up. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Ice question on puddles

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:03 pm

That is what we do. We just get out there and wade around and if it is not too cold, the hole with usually stay open. Hope your favorite hole does not freeze on you!!!
1080tommy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting