Duck Hunting Forum banner

BWT hens

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Duck Collector 
#1 ·
I live in southeast North Carolina were I've never seen a BWT till this season I killed 2 hens this year they were flyin right by there self and dove right in the decoys. Were are the drakes? And were is the rest of the flock? Anything will help. :help:

#11 ·
To identify the drakes before they're in breeding plumage, look to the white wing stripe between their blue shoulders and speculums. The hen's white feathers will have brown centers (shown at top of photo) and the drakes are solid white (shown at bottom):

#16 ·
Yep, they are gone here too. I see em headed back north in april/may on the bayous here and they are beautiful, I've only killed them in full plumage in south louisiana and south texas.

#18 ·
If you ever get a chance go to south la or south texas and hunt the coast late in the season. On the tx coast you will get tons of bwt, gwt, widgeon, all kinds of divers, and more than anything redheads and pintails out the wahzoo and snows and blues. On the la coast you will get the same plus mottled ducks and specks.

#20 ·
Im in northwest louisiana(the shreveport area to be specific) we get multiple species but more gadwalls and woodies than anything. I'm so tired of wood ducks.

#21 ·
rebelp74 said:
Im in northwest louisiana(the shreveport area to be specific) we get multiple species but more gadwalls and woodies than anything. I'm so tired of wood ducks.
I wish I could say that. Took me 6 years to kill a drake woodie and he is headed to the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.