How to shoot with a full choke?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: How to shoot with a full choke?

Postby GreenHeadDead » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Fatback wrote:Saint John as well !

NO WAY!! where about in Saint John, Just a ruff location. Like where do you like by ?
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby Fatback » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Live in the Valley... Hunt St Andrews to Pettcodic mostly. You?
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am

Fatback wrote:Live in the Valley... Hunt St Andrews to Pettcodic mostly. You?

I live east side. Not to far from Simonds high school. Me and my dad hunt for partridge and such up at my little camp in saint george by Digitiewash lake. I don't have many spots so I just hunt not far from my house in a little pond. But opening day we typically go out on the hammond river !
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 am

When you're not a great shot don't expect to tighten your choke and kill more birds. Guys who do shoot good with full chokes are really good shots. The main reason they do is b/c when u hit a duck with a full choke its going down because the pattern is so tight. Sounds like u need to spend some more time at the range.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 am

full choke blows out my patterns. try a IM
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Funny conversation...
I am actually going home today after work to remove my Full Choke and install my Mod for ducks over decoys.
I decided that I really don't shoot over 25 yards so what's the point in "handicapping" myself with the FC.
My old (days old) philosophy was that I didn't want to rely on the scatter of a shotgun to kill my bird, I wanted to throw a bowling ball at the bird and drop it. The problem is I either had a dead bird, or no bird...not much else.
I fear that I will end up with more cripples with the Mod, but I have had wayyyyy too many birds come wayyyyyy too close and missed and I can't take that anymore. I was also shooting BB's most of the time
The problem we have here on the Great South Bay (and it's a good problem) is that one minute you might have a pair of hoodies rocket through you rig, then here comes a 6lb brant cupped up, then a fat angry black duck overhead at 45 yards, then a pair of buffies.....So what do you do? I can't keep changing shells and chokes on the fly every time a particular species comes in.
At least when we are in the pit you know it's geese, geese, geese. So.....full choke, BB's and you are done.
SO--
I am moving to Mod and 3" #2's for this weekend and we will see what difference it brings.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Slack Tide on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 am

MOD=Good
Last edited by WIDrakeKiller on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby shane071489 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

This may have already been said, I did not get a chance to read every post but wanted to share this bit of information. Kicks high flyer chokes are made to use steel (can use lead but restrictions are made for steel) a full kicks choke patterning is suppose to equivalent in percentage to lead being shot through a full choke on paper but while using steel shot. So when you actually shoot lead through a kicks full it is more like a improved modified. Being that steel shot shoots tighter the restrictions on the chokes can be looser. So his kicks high flyer full is equivalent to say a modified or improved modified from a factory using lead to adjust choke restriction on paper to get a certain bb percentage. This is very hard to explain hope I did not confuse anyone. Maybe someone can chime in and explain this a little better.
shane071489
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 am

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Slack Tide so it sounds like your needing a choke that fits multiple situations, in-between full and ic. Well they do make this one choke called modified that is what u would probably wanna give a try! Sorry to be sarcastic but a modified is great for up close in and has a tight enough pattern to kill em when their just skimming the dekes.

Man, I must really be more tired than I thought (brand new baby)...
The entire time I was writing that, I meant to be saying Mod....
I went back an edited.
Thanks.
:fingerhead:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm

GreenHeadDead wrote:How to shoot with a full choke?

I would suggest pulling the trigger. Maybe I been doing it wrong though.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Funny conversation...
I am actually going home today after work to remove my Full Choke and install my Mod for ducks over decoys.
I decided that I really don't shoot over 25 yards so what's the point in "handicapping" myself with the FC.
My old (days old) philosophy was that I didn't want to rely on the scatter of a shotgun to kill my bird, I wanted to throw a bowling ball at the bird and drop it. The problem is I either had a dead bird, or no bird...not much else.
I fear that I will end up with more cripples with the Mod, but I have had wayyyyy too many birds come wayyyyyy too close and missed and I can't take that anymore. I was also shooting BB's most of the time
The problem we have here on the Great South Bay (and it's a good problem) is that one minute you might have a pair of hoodies rocket through you rig, then here comes a 6lb brant cupped up, then a fat angry black duck overhead at 45 yards, then a pair of buffies.....So what do you do? I can't keep changing shells and chokes on the fly every time a particular species comes in.
At least when we are in the pit you know it's geese, geese, geese. So.....full choke, BB's and you are done.
SO--
I am moving to Mod and 3" #2's for this weekend and we will see what difference it brings.
Thoughts?

I'm all about mod 3inch 2s on everything from teal to geese in the 30 yard range. Then I bump up to IM 3inch 2s for long range, salt hunting... Basically 3inch 2s all day. Change of the choke depending on which blind I'm in
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 am

Bummer...Bummer...Bummer.....
Bad news.

I went to pull the full and it's stuck stuck.
So I went into my little tube box and I see that the Mod has been in there all along...
Im not so worried about it being stuck, I sprayed the crap out of it and let it sit...
What I AM worried about is how I've been shooting.
I'm praying that I've been missing because I've been shooting a Mod as if it WERE a full....
Not that I know it's a mod, I can adjust and hopefully slam a few today.
I am going back to the exact same spot and almost the same conditions, but I am bringing 2.75" #3's today...
Have a great day.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

How to shoot with a full choke?

Postby Moultrie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:09 am

All based on experience but at 40 yards or so I tell people to pretend the duck is smoking a cigar and try to shoot the tip of the cigar. The whole 3 ft in front or 3 inches is all relative.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby birchcreek_bushwacker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 pm

why would you even use a full choke??? too tight and unnecessary.... I have an IC choke on my 20"barreled duck gun and have killed ducks at 45+ yards, 3"-#2 Hevi shot smokes em down better than lead ever did.......
birchcreek_bushwacker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Mod with 2.75" #3's this morning....Two birds at 30 yards...both with holes in their beaks....
Cool
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Slack Tide so it sounds like your needing a choke that fits multiple situations, in-between full and ic. Well they do make this one choke called modified that is what u would probably wanna give a try! Sorry to be sarcastic but a modified is great for up close in and has a tight enough pattern to kill em when their just skimming the dekes.

A modified is not great for up close shots all the time. This morning I was watching a group of teal when one zipped in without me knowing it. I saw him as he turned to come back and hit him as he crossed over my head. About 10 yards out + modified choke + GWT= Swiss cheese
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:47 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

A modified is not great for up close shots all the time. This morning I was watching a group of teal when one zipped in without me knowing it. I saw him as he turned to come back and hit him as he crossed over my head. About 10 yards out + modified choke + GWT= Swiss cheese

opening day on the bay me and the dog go to the rice flats at low tide to pick up cripples and flush whatever got numbed. hit a black just getting off the ground at 10 yards and the breast had a racketball sized hole packed with feathers entering threw its back. that was with mod and he actually hit the ground and took a few steps before dropping its head
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Smith » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 am

Slack Tide wrote:What I AM worried about is how I've been shooting.
I'm praying that I've been missing because I've been shooting a Mod as if it WERE a full....
Not that I know it's a mod, I can adjust and hopefully slam a few today.

I'm puzzled by this. Why would you shoot differently because of your choice of choke? Don't you always try to center your pattern on the target? What "adjustment" would you make because you know it's a modified?
Smith
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm

i was rereading all this advice including my own when i had another thought!! in the old days u bought a shotgun with a long barrel with a full choke or a short barrel with a modified choke and u learned how to use it!!!!

until you can get ducks to hold still so u can hit them with a range finder and determine their size so you can adjust both ur choke leed and shot size there just aint no way around practice practice practice.

pick a choke buy a case of shells and go to a sporting clays range. but on the other hand if it was that simple what wld we have to talk about LOL!!!!
frydaddy
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 pm

I only shoot a full or extra full choke. My guns with screw in chokes are extra full and I have a few with a choked barrel that are full. Lead them based on a judged distance and hit em in the head and you won't have any problems with the meat being tore up. May not always be a mountable bird but it'll be a dead one! Always pattern yor gun.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 am

Moultrie wrote:All based on experience but at 40 yards or so I tell people to pretend the duck is smoking a cigar and try to shoot the tip of the cigar. The whole 3 ft in front or 3 inches is all relative.

Thanks man i'm actually going to try that out!
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 am

rebelp74 wrote:I only shoot a full or extra full choke. My guns with screw in chokes are extra full and I have a few with a choked barrel that are full. Lead them based on a judged distance and hit em in the head and you won't have any problems with the meat being tore up. May not always be a mountable bird but it'll be a dead one! Always pattern yor gun.

Thanks man, appreciate it, ill try it out
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 am

Green Head Dead how long have u been shooting a gun?
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby GreenHeadDead » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:20 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Green Head Dead how long have u been shooting a gun?

Around three years now. Just started duck hunting late last year. i did lots of partridge and coyote hunting the first 2 years.
GreenHeadDead
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 am

Honestly it sounds like u should probably stay with a mod choke. Guys who use full chokes are good shots, and a lot of times when duck hunters switch to a full chokes they shoot worse.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting