Pintail Help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Pintail Help

Postby Blackace1105 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Has anyone been successful in decoying Pintails? Especially if you live near the Atlantic Flyway were they are not abundant like in the Pacific. I have yet to shoot a Pintail. I have had a few fly in to get a look, but were not interested in decoying or coming within range. Do the Pintails prefer to not intermingle with other ducks, ie Mallards? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a half dozen Pintail decoys. They are the only ones I have not been able to figure out for a decoy strategy.

Thanks
Blackace1105
hunter

Re: Pintail Help

Postby fullmoon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 am

being thousand km apart, strategies may be different according to field,no of ducks,weather etc etc.
but i had same problem like yours until this season....those God damn pinnies will just circle out of range two or three times,show no interest in decoys and just turn away. i was using 6 pintail decoys at those times mixed with mallards.my little experience shows that they dont land with mallards most of the time.i havent seen them even once !

this year i added up 6 more magnums and started making a spread with 12-16 mallard decoys on one side and 12 pintails (6 standard/6 magnums) with 12 to 20 teals mixed on other side of the blind.....and guess what, birds started landing right in front of me over teal/pintail spread. not a single bird landed in mallard area. we shot a dozen on first day and about 8 or 9 on second shoot. as spread was near my blind (max 20 yards radius) so i switched to no#8 for early 15 to 20 minutes and birds were dropping stone dead!

one more thing which is must is to buy a pintail whistle and know how to operate it.

good luck for your first pinny,i hope u get more than one. :thumbsup:
fullmoon
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 am

Pintails are one of our primary birds here. They can be a warry bird in deed. More good pintail decoys is a good start. I have a mix of G & H and GHG pintails in my spread. I like the GHG magnums better than the life size ones. Another winner is using some of the pintail feeder butts. Having a pintail whistle is a must, I have used Wingsetters for 30 years.

Make sure you place a few pintail decoys on the outside edge of your spread near your "landing zone" so they can land with their "own" without crossing over other specie which helps when not is an area that has lots of pintails, worked for me when I lived in NY for a few years. When the birds are circling only call when they are facing away or are quartering away from you. Do not treat your pintail whistle like a mallard call, blow softly, less is better than more. A mallard feeding call done softly can help finish them some days. When they are in a postion that you would use a "hail" call try a widgeon call as it carries further, can be done louder and won;t end up being "over blown".

hope this helps and best of luck!
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 am

Last year, when I first REALLY started hunting ducks, my buddy had told me "If we shoot a pintail, I'd mount it." That day we both saw 100's of them and I also took my limit. They decoyed fairly well, and they do intermingle from what I can tell BUT I only had 2 pintail deeks out. However in nearly all situations, that's where they landed. Anyways I think they are social birds, and I think the average puddler spread would be appealing to the birds. Good luck this year, hoping to get my first sprig of the year this weekend. :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 pm

hawkeye55 wrote:Pintails are one of our primary birds here. They can be a warry bird in deed. More good pintail decoys is a good start. I have a mix of G & H and GHG pintails in my spread. I like the GHG magnums better than the life size ones. Another winner is using some of the pintail feeder butts. Having a pintail whistle is a must, I have used Wingsetters for 30 years.

Make sure you place a few pintail decoys on the outside edge of your spread near your "landing zone" so they can land with their "own" without crossing over other specie which helps when not is an area that has lots of pintails, worked for me when I lived in NY for a few years. When the birds are circling only call when they are facing away or are quartering away from you. Do not treat your pintail whistle like a mallard call, blow softly, less is better than more. A mallard feeding call done softly can help finish them some days. When they are in a postion that you would use a "hail" call try a widgeon call as it carries further, can be done louder and won;t end up being "over blown".

hope this helps and best of luck!

Ya we kill our limit of pintails almost every time. Their really wairy birds and will circle many times before commiting. Might be different on atlantic coast, but here IMO more pintail decoys are your friend. Its not uncommon here to find guys throwing out 8-10 doz decoys and 5-6 of them being pintails. One of my buddies when further down the coast this year and threw out 18 doz decoys and sucked down every bird they called at.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Duck Collector,

I am not that far down the coast from you, and have hunted up near Midfield and POC area for a change of pace. I use between 12 and 16 doz depending on spot and time of season. About half are pintails when we hunt salt marsh or bay.

Blackace
My recommendation would be to buy a package (or 2) of the GHG magum pintails to add to your spread and a pintail whistle. Even when the pintails are not around they add a lot of visibility to your spread.
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm

hawkeye55 wrote:Duck Collector,

I am not that far down the coast from you, and have hunted up near Midfield and POC area for a change of pace. I use between 12 and 16 doz depending on spot and time of season. About half are pintails when we hunt salt marsh or bay.

Blackace
My recommendation would be to buy a package (or 2) of the GHG magum pintails to add to your spread and a pintail whistle. Even when the pintails are not around they add a lot of visibility to your spread.

You use that many regularly? I normaly only use 7 doz but down by rock port and poc we use around 10-12 doz.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm

As noted in earlier post depends on when and where in salt water, but yes anywhere from 12-16 doz. We like them to finish close. And Texas rigged it only takes about 12-15 minutes to go out and about 20 to come in along with one experienced hunting parther.

In freesh water spots we use 4-6 doz and the mix has only about 2 doz pintails
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Ya all mine are texas rigged. Its much eaiser to pick up and throw out that many decoys, it also saves room in a boat.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 pm

I know you said its different where im at but I find that if I put my pintail decoys out further than my mallards, wigeon and teal like towards the edge of range,then I get more committed birds. As stated earlier, a pintail call helps but I also find that a feeding chuckle or a series of quacks is more effective. Pintail decoys are definitely a must though.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Blackace1105 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I do have a Pintail/ Wigeon whistle. Hopefully get a Pintai this season, they fly through the area, they are not uncommon, but are indeed few and far between in the areas that I hunt. Thanks again for the advice
Blackace1105
hunter

Postby Cdphotos82 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Here in Montana all the Pintails we shot this year flew and landed directly in the mallard spread just calling mallards. Had a puddler pack out " 2 Gadwall, 2 Widgeon and 2 GW Teal" mixed in with the mallards but no pintail decoys. Since then i bought a half dozen pintail deeks and had one drake circle our spread 3-4 times and land 70-80 yds away. He just wouldnt commit.
Cdphotos82
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 am

They are pintails. Someday I'm done shooting pintail 10 mins after LST. Other days can't get one to commit. They are a very sketchy ducks. Sometimes a pintail whistle works, other times a regular duck call. Sometime no sound is better. Sometimes spinning wing other times none. Sometime pintail decoy other time doesn’t matter. They are just picky birds. I average about 20-25 pintails years. I hardly ever set up for them. The best days to get into them are when they decoy from the stratosphere.
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby Garand12 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I shot my first and only pintail (so far) in cut corn with nothing but full body Canada goose decoys. It came out of nowhere alone and dropped right into range. This is central Ohio so we only really see geese in fields and smaller numbers of mallards and blacks. From everything I've read it seems pintails are unpredictable and I hope my .02 cents contributes.
Garand12
Newb

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:32 pm

This is my first pint tail this year :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm

wanapasaki wrote:This is my first pint tail this year :beer:

thats awesome :thumbsup:
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks B.Hud Saw a lot last year, this year they are showing up later than normal
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am

B.Hud...
You shooting a 935? Just taking a stab at the 2 inches I can see..
As for Pins..
I had a hen drop into my black deeks the other day and a friend got the first Drake of the season last week here on the Great South Bay
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm

We get a lot of pintails here. (California) My favorite duck to decoy and have been shooting them since the '70s when we could shoot 7. The larger flocks are pretty finicky and take some patience to get them in range. The bigger flocks like open water and your decoys have got to be set up wind of the blind so they make the approach over the blind and not too close to the blind either. Make sure there is an open hole that they can have a place to land. If it is blocked with decoys, they will flare and you won't get them in close enough. Trial and error has worked for us since we usually hunt the same pond over and over. We use G&H Supermags and have for over 30 years. I use a Wingsetter and a Mallard call. When they are working the deeks, soft blows on the Wingsetter, little tweets every once in a while. When they fly over before turning around, hit them with a Mallard call and follow up with the Wingsetter. Work in the feed chuckle with the mallard call sometimes. This has been a success story for us.

Had a large flock of new birds fly over us this past Saturday and we got about 12 birds to break off the big flock and start working our spread. We (3 of us) ended up shooting 6 of the 12 out of that bunch. :grooving:
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby woodie52 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:12 am

I dont know where you are on the atlantic coast but in florida if you want to kill one it seems that it will be later in the day around nine or ten when most other hunters have left. We put gadwall decoys out a few teal and just a pair of pintail decoys about 20 yards from the main spread. You may think the pintails are leaving when they are circling but here it takes them what seems like forever to come in. Hope that helps and good luck
woodie52
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting