Pumping Duck Ponds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Pumping Duck Ponds

Postby mdycrk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 am

How many folks on here flood their duck ponds?

One of my goals for next year is to turn a low lying field we have into a 20 acre duck pond. Not getting into all the specifics, but it would involve pumping water out of the river, flooding the field 12-18" deep. I don't know a whole lot about pumping/flooding ponds, so looking for some info from some folks that do.
mdycrk
hunter

Re: Pumping Duck Ponds

Postby Garand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 am

Will the land hold water once its there? We lucked into free use of a 6" pump last year and gave our spot a try. pumped for half a day, filled our area nicely, LOOKED GREAT. 2 days later it was dry..

That free test saved us a lot of money in the long run, we now have no plans to try to pump fill our land.
Garand
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 am

This area does hold water. Like I said, it's a very low area, so this kind of tends to be the drain point of the larger fields. It is bordered by a large creek on one side, then ag fields on the other. Only reason I'm able to look into flooding this one is because its normally too wet to get a tractor or anything in for something like wheat. Right now it's just set up to drain. So with a couple levees and a good flashboard, I think it can definitely hold water. Plan is to dam up the drain first, then see if it will hold water before completely jumping off into purchasing a pump set up.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby Garand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 pm

You might look into renting one first, I don't know what this 6" pump we used would rent for, but It would be less than buying significantly smaller pump.

Plus keep in mind that you said you wanted to flood 20 acres 12-18" deep.. my math shows that to be about 6.5 MILLION gallons! with our 6" running at 2000GPM that would take about 55hours to pump!!
Garand
hunter

Postby MattMontana » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Not sure about where you are from, but if you drop a hose in the river here and start pumping, those people with legal water rights will be on you like white on rice. Look into it before you act. It's possible that you could be stealing water from people that own the rights to it. And they won't like it. Make the call first. Water rights here are worth way more than gold. I like your idea, but make sure it's legal where you live.
MattMontana
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes sir. You nailed it. 6.5 million gallons. Just depends on the pump as to how long it will take. I'm open to anything, just wondering what other folks are using.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:17 pm

MattMontana wrote:Not sure about where you are from, but if you drop a hose in the river here and start pumping, those people with legal water rights will be on you like white on rice. Look into it before you act. It's possible that you could be stealing water from people that own the rights to it. And they won't like it. Make the call first. Water rights here are worth way more than gold. I like your idea, but make sure it's legal where you live.

Oh no doubt about that. Our farms are on a 69000 acre impoundment that is part of the Tennessee river. There are a number of pumps along the river farmers have placed to run center pivots and things like that.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 am

Could just rent a skid steer for one day and move some dirt.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 pm

I don't flood any property to hunt but I do hunt some public land that is managed for waterfowl where it's all flooded ag fields. Most of the fields are 160 acres and try use 10 or 12 inch pumps to flood them. Not sure on the amount of time it takes but I know they continue to pump theoughout the season. I don't think you will be able to pump it full and be good to go. I would imagine it would need to be topped off every few days. Good luck. :beer:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I used to be on a duck lease and we built levees and pumped water into them about 2' deep. We used a 12" pump and filled 120 acres before season. We had 10 different areas that we filled. We had to pump into them once a week to keep them full until the ground gets saturated enough to hold water. Usaully around the end of the season we would pump once every 2-3 weeks. It takes a lot of management, good luck.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting