Need roost advice?!?!?!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Need roost advice?!?!?!

Postby hookedonquack45 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm

We have had an issue at our impoundment for 3 years now and we have to do something about it. We have a 20 acre impoundment surrounded by a huge millpond, swamps, and river wetlands. We have occasional good hunts when a push of birds comes through but its not steady. The birds only use our impoundment at night and I don't think for roosting purposes, I believe it is for feeding. I know some people say hunt it in the afternoon, but it is not possible to and still be legal. They come in 15-30 minutes after shooting light. Anywhere from 300-700 ducks of all puddler species will come in there just before dark. If we hunt in the morning on the impoundment we obviously spook them out. It even affects surrounding hunting because they eat all night and the next day sit "somewhere" with no interest in usual feeding grounds. It is getting annoying. We were talking about trying to stop this but don't know how. With a two week split coming we were thinking if we could scare them from the roost they would either 1. start using it like we want, or 2. Leave and not come back, but that's okay because there will be completely new birds here in 2 weeks. I am not asking for advice on how to kill these birds the way it is. I want to know how to stop them from coming at night and if anyone has had any success with this? Thank you in advance for all your help!

"Shoot their moms, shoot their dads, find their nests, and eat their eggs"
hookedonquack45
Newb

Re: Need roost advice?!?!?!

Postby dmadden7070 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I've been having the same problem with a flooded field we hunt over the past few years, so I'd love to hear advice about it as well. Best of luck
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby birchcreek_bushwacker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 am

If you cannot bust the roost, I doubt your going to keep the birds out, unless your out there every day for atleast a week.
We had a spot years ago like that, we just found some good cover adjacent to the feeding/roosting area . We would sneak in early and pass shoot em leaving in the morning. At the end of the season we would do an evening hunt, cause they wouldnt come back after, one or two of those
birchcreek_bushwacker
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 pm

put out motion lights and a motion siren, if possible, it will keep them run off.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby hookedonquack45 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:12 am

Do you think running them off is a good idea... Like I said we can't kill them anyway. And yes we can pass shoot them but that's gets old after about 2 minutes you know...
hookedonquack45
Newb

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:31 am

Don't know what you want to spend, but you may want to look into a propane "scare cannon" used to keep nusiance wildlife out/off of crops. The programmable ones are obviously more expensive and should allow you to possibly set it to only fire-off during late afternoon and evening hours (providing there are no close-by neighbors!). This noise could re-condition the birds to show up in the morning and use the impoundment during daylight hours. May be able to rent one to try out. Google and research it.
What do you have planted in the impoundment?
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby hookedonquack45 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:08 am

Corn, millet, sorghum, smart weed...
hookedonquack45
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting